The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Didgeridoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Musky drawing/design

Well I challenged myself on a new species that Iíve never drawn before. It was a great fish to work on because musky are highly detailed but their colours are subdued with not a lot of sharp contrast. They also are quite metallic so trying to replicate this was interesting. All in all I think it turned out pretty decent! You definitely canít complain about that pose!

I used watercolour pencils on a 11◊14 piece of watercolour paper. A small paintbrush and my tongue to wet it, is how I smooth out the colour and get the seamless blends. Layering is key to get the desired colour and depth, constantly adding colour, smoothing it out with the brush, adding more colour, until I get it to where I like it.

I then took a photo and uploaded it onto photoshop. Here I cropped out the drawing from the background and add a drop-shadow, outer glow, the font and ink blot. This style is kind of a traditional art piece meets digital artwork.

Click the image to open in full size.

Nick
futuramille and grassonfly like this.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musky drawing/design

Nick: Yes I can see that a Musky would be a terrific challenge, but from the looks of it you nailed it! Congrats!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Finally a musky chasing the right bait. Minnow pics don't do the trick . Great pic!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Nick--
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Another wonderfull piece of work. I'm truly impressed.

thanks allot for sharing these all with us. Keep um coming!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Beautiful work. Great job combining the traditional medium with digital!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a lot like the strain we have here at the Lake of the Woods. Good job on a tough subject.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone!

theboz- ya I definitely agree. Too many non-fisherman artists out there.

Dan- the musky strain I used is based off Lake of the Woods fish. Good observation!

Nick