The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default Mo state trout parks

I don't know how many people are from the mo/il area or have fished mo trout parks, but I will ask anyway. I have fished Bennett spring for years and love it. I recently went to montauk and did really well for me. I was woundering if meremac and roaring river were any good for fly fishing. I have a lot of luck on small glow balls and small jigs fished below an indicator I was woundering if anyone had a secret fly that kills them. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mo state trout parks

"Matching the hatch". I'm sure you've heard this before so consider this. The fish you're dealing with are more than likely hatchery fish. What have they been fed? What are they use to eating. I'll bet it's those little brown bits of manufactured fish food. Try this. Tie ya up some similiar colored scud like wet flies and see if that works for ya. Also when your there take ya a fine screen dip net and kick around in the sand and rocks on the bottom and hold your net below your disturbance and scoop up the trash. Look for life form of whats living in the stream. That may give you a clue as to what they maybe eating. The small glow balls resemble the various colored Berkley power baits. Lots of spin caster around here favor those and seem to be very effective. By the way i'm down here on the southern border in Missouri and do Ark. a lot. Been to Montauk a few times myself. I see your a newbee also as i am. Some good guys here willing to help. You'll enjoy this place. Good luck.
Eddy
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mo state trout parks

I recommend Roaring River. I love it there. I typically use GRHE or parachute adams. BWO work great too. If all you want is to limit, get yourself a fish food fly (local shop has it) and fish near the hatchery. I didn't care for Montauk as much. Bennett was okay.