The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Let's talk boats.

Not sure what you fellers use and maybe you dont. Having lived and fished several yrs in Alaska i've had a few but different areas require or dictate different types. I've owned big Duckworth Magnums, all the way down to 10' jon boats for pond hoppin. As for now i think i need another boat. The style that i feel would best work for my style would be a 16', wide flat bottom lake jon with a casting deck on the front with a rail around the front to brace yourself while casting. You know like they sometimes use in the Keys. No poling but will use a trolling motor. My plan is to fish the lakes skirting the shore line casting toward holding areas for bass and bluegill. It can also be used for drifting in the local rivers for trout which i currently wade for. What boat works for you guys and what type of fishing are you using it for?
Eddy
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let's talk boats.

Most of my boat experience is with flats skiffs and canoes/kayaks, so I'm not a whole lot of help. However, having a front casting platform for fly fishing would be nice, with enough room for those specialized mats to aid with shooting line. A rear tower is always nice, for everything from tarpon to carp, or just observing contours/water changes. I've never been in a skiff that had one of those casting rails, but I assume they would be useful as well. Personally, I want to fish from a drift boat as I never have before, hopefully that will be happening sooner than later

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Interesting subject. I am in something of the same quandray.
so I think I will sit back an watch. I have always thought that one of the smaller alumunum Bass Trackers would make a good ff boat for fresh water.
I also like the idea of the Ganoe (sic).
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Ditz, Whats a GANOE?
Eddy
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I use a 14’ West Coaster; it’s a welded semi-vee aluminum high prow bay skiff. I don’t have a platform but have made removable rail that I can lean against made out of electrical conduit. They also make a scout model which comes with a forward platform in either a flat or semi-vee bottom.

Rick
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM

I don't think Ganoe is the correct spelling. It is basicly a really wide canoe with sharp chines. The 'Custom' model is about 15 foot and uses a 25hp motor max. A lot of them are powered by 15hp motors. The boats come in lots of different configurations. Front pedlestal seats to casting platforms with standing rails. Middle steering consoles to tiller steering. Some have rear poleing platforms. There is a web site for them and they are make in Titusville FL.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

It's a Gheenoe! I have an older one, it's 16', fiberglass. Front & rear pedestal swivel seats, mounted on the bench seats. I've had a 9.9hp Johnson on it, a 36 lb trolling motor & have paddled it, and all work fine. As is, it's a bit heavy, but has a good weight capacity at about 650 lbs & with myself, and one other large adult, (I'm 6'4", 230 lbs) it will go into about 5-6" of water without a problem. I bought a small utility trailer for it, and also can carry it easily in the back of my F-150 with the tailgate down. Not too bad launching it from the truck, but getting it back into the truck bed alone is a chore. Great fishing boat & fine for fly fishing out of!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Yepper I just came back to post the proper spelling. Just as a side note. While down there I found a used Gheenoe Custom for sale and it had special made transom with a 50 or 60 horse on it. It looked quite scary to me. Otherwise it was set up real nice. The owner said it was quite fast.

I would trailer it if I had one just for the ease of loading if nothing else but it should be an easy tow. I believe it would be a excellent option to a flats skiff. Much cheaper and much cheaper to feed. I would like to spend a half a day in one of the customs to verify comfort and stability.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

ditz, I have a 16 ft jon boat too. The Gheenoe is not as stable as the jon, but I can stand up in it & fish. I don't like to do it however. Being tall, it's a bit to tippy for me. Not that I'm afraid it will tip over, that would take a lot to do it, but more so to keep from losing my balance. Mine had swivel seats in it when I got it, (used from a friend) but I added the pedestals, which are 7 inches high, because again, being tall & now older with knee's that are not in great shape, it can get a bit uncomfortable for me. I also replaced the seats with a better type that has high backs. With the seats as they are now, I can fish from a seated position for several hours without too much discomfort. Makes fly casting a bit easier too.

I can't & don't try to make very long casts from it, but I don't cast all that far to begin with, so as is, it works very well for the fishing I do.

My 9.9 moves it pretty fast. Even the trolling motor moves it along fairly fast! I can't imagine a 50 or 60 HP motor on it! Be like sitting on a rocket!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM

monello will become famous soon enough

I fish from a Portabote. I have a 10 & 12 footers that I carry in the back of my Ford Explorer Sport Trak. I can launch/recover it myself. I use a trolling motor and have a 4 stroke engine for it also.

I've had it in the water in FLA, MT, NY, AK, & MD.

I put it in the Kenai river, Potomac river and Lake Ontario. Pretty stable but you have to use your head depending on water conditions.