The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymphinng Help (I stink at it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
The good news is even though I got skunked I had 4 hours of serenity...no phones , no dogs , no nothing so I still won
That may be my favorite statement I've heard all week.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:12 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As long as you omit the dog part, I'm in complete agreement I need to work on my dog being better behaved so she can come fishing with me. Otherwise, I want her around pretty much all the time. If I could, she'd curl up at my feet during class.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
As long as you omit the dog part, I'm in complete agreement I need to work on my dog being better behaved so she can come fishing with me. Otherwise, I want her around pretty much all the time. If I could, she'd curl up at my feet during class.

Yeah maybe that came out wrong, I love the heck out of all 3 of my dogs. I guess I should have said no wife nagging me about the dogs, let em out, let em in, pick up poop, vaacumm up all their hair.

I love having my travel trailer so they can come camping with me though

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Another qestion around weights to sink the flies

Do you position your split shot / tungsten whatever you use 12" or so above the midge so the weights are ticking the bottom and the midge then would suspended just above the bottom ?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:03 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You have to keep trying and learning from others and other sources. It took me awhile but I have gotten better over time, by no means a jedi master but I didn't give up on learning. Presentation is key then finding a size and color they like. I like the day where one certain fly would just nail them all day but on the tailwater I fish what was a killer fly one year ago is not or at least it hasn't produced like the past. It's part of learning. Hire a guide for a day and pick his brain to death. Have him show you casting, mending and fly selection and ask a million questions.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As far as the weight, yeah 8-12" above the point fly should do you right.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM

willki is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this will be an odd suggestion or not...

1.) Skip 2 flies for a while. I always found 1 easier to nail a drift on, start there, and when the control is dialed in, add a second fly.
2.) When you add a 2nd fly, varry what you do. A lot of people just do light fly after heavy fly... try heavy fly after light. this is more like the hardware guys "drop shotting". It changes how the flies move and some times can be better than changing patterns.
3.) Small streams and short lines. in a small stream, you can fish a real short line and see what your drift is doing and control it easier beucase there are fewer options for where the water wants to go. It helps you learn to get the best drift becuase there is a little more control. As you feel more confident in your drift control bigger water becomes easier.
4.) Start out on big water high sticking. Dont feel like you have to go full blown euro style with a 15+ foot leader/tippet combo or what not. the main thing, is that you can hit pockets really well and again control things really well with this approach.
5.) If your unsure how the current is going to create drag and how to help elliminate that, take the time to make a few casts with a visible dry, see what happens and how you can change the drift to reduce drag. Admittedly, the surface is different then the bottom, but you can get clues about how your line will be pulled by current and how that will affect your fly.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

you guys are awesome

Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated. Now to get my wife to sign the hall pass so I can go next weekend
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Maybe it's not your technique but where you're fishing.

Boulder creek is ok in the winter, but not the best, and the Vrain is tough all year round...

Try some easy places to pick up fish...nymphing is the easist form of fly fishing and fish are feeding subsurface 90% of the time.

Head down to Pueblo, the Arkansas around Salida, The Pan, The Yampa, or The Dream Stream.

Lots of good fishing and fish that forgive poor nymphing techniques...it's a good start and a good place to start working on better techniques like reducing line drag and working good presentation.

If you want, I'd be happy to take you on the water and show you how I nymph.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice on seeing or feeling the rig hit the bottom during the drift.

However, no one has mentioned when in the drift, the rig hits bottom. I think this is important.

The concept is "effect" drift length. If the fish are at the bottom, the portion of the drift during which the flies are above the fish is ineffective. Only that portion of the drift that places the flies at the level of the fish is effective. The rest of the drift is being used for the flies to get down to the fish.

When you understand this concept, you understand that if your flies are not hitting the bottom your entire drift is ineffective. Secondly, the earlier in the drift that your flies hit bottom, the longer effective drift you will have left. Thirdly, the longer you can extend the drift after the flies bottom bounce, the longer your effective drift. Fourthly, any mending that allows your flies to sink faster, or picking a target point that gives you a longer effective drift will catch more fish.

Change the weighting by adding spit shot or heavier flies to increase the effective drift. Think about how to increase the effective drift by mending to get the flies to sink faster and mending line into the drift to extend the drift. Think about lengthening the leader to get a faster sink rate or if the flies don't hit the bottom.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy