The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Nymphinng Help (I stink at it)

Use Florocarbon for a faster sink rate.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming late to the game on this but aside from adding more shot to your rig, you might want to consider hand tied leaders. I do mine with Maxima Chameleon and tip them with Flouro. As the previous post mentioned, Flouro has a faster sink rate. Using these two materials helps more so because the Mono is more buoyant.

Add another good read to the mix:

Amazon.com: Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World (9780811707411): George Daniel: Books Amazon.com: Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World (9780811707411): George Daniel: Books

I know some of the fly shops have them in stock too, you may want to check at your local one. I have looked through this book cover to cover and am reading now. Good stuff.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Man I cant wait to get out again, you guys are a ton of help.

And even if I get skunked again.....oh well, practice practice practice
williamhj likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Late to the party, but here goes anyway

Fish the seams and make sure your nymph is hitting bottom occasionally. Most people don't get thier nymph deep enough, this can not be said enough, you gotta be near the bottom.

If you get your indicator on the seam (I try to keep it on the slow side of the seam), and you are ticking bottom occasionally, and you are in water where fish are present, and have a fly that is anywhere similar to what the fish are used to eating, you will get fish.

No need for elaborate patterns, standard copper johns, PTNs, prince nymphs, wooly buggers, hares ears, etc.

just my opinion,

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.