The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Nymphinng Help (I stink at it)

Well after a day of being skunked yet again I am turning to you all for help

I flat suck at running nymph rigs. I can never get the right nymphs rolling. Basically nymphing is a all or nothing deal for me. If the fish are feeding and somehow I end up with the right midge / emerger on then I catch fish. If they arent feeding heavy and I dont guess which fly I get flat skunked.

Since it cant be August all year long where the dries are coming off like no ones business I need to figure this out.

I typically run a weighted nymph as a the top fly and then a small midge trailing. For example today I ran a beadhead San Juan worm with a black zebra midge trailing and my strike indicator set 5-6' up my leader sine the water was 2-4' feet deep.

Please tell me tips for picking the right fly, do you run the heavy one up front or as the trailier

etc etc etc I am sick of sucking.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Nymphinng Help (I stink at it)

My advice: never fish any nymph rig more than 15 minutes without success.

Make sure your rig ticks bottom at least every other cast.

Change the rig and try something else. Do understand that some days they just ain't biting.

Chris
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Typically, most people say that the heaviest fly is your point (top) fly. And as far as your indicator goes, we're you seeing it tick bottom? If not, you either did not have enough weight or your indicator was not set high enough.

More questions: what size tippet were you using? And most importantly, did you see any evidence of fish? Assuming they are behaving similar to ours, they are not going to be in their usual spots, but likely podded up in the slower water, typically the inside edges of runs, maybe deeper into the tail out than usual, etc.

I'm not exactly a pro myself (read: I'm a total noob) but you're going to want to start out by making sure that you're fishing where the fish are (the most obvious), that you're using enough weight, and that your indicator is set high enough to let the flies get into the hot zone.

And for most inland fish, Chris is right on about changing up if its not working; for steelhead, not so much I was in the midst of typing my response when he posted his

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I always fish the bigger, more heavily weighted fly above the smaller no weight one.

Chris
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

You can cheat like me and just run a black midge behind a weighted woolly bugger. No indicator, no added weight, just a simple set up and easy to cast. sf
Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

^^^^^
never thought of that innes, great idea.

comeonavs: where were you fishing?

They seem to recognize a pattern after seeing it a few times, especially something bright like a san juan, especially with the low clear flows. I started with a streamer, then switched to a black copper john followed by a black midge emerger, mercury midge, or rainbow warrior. Only managed two in 3 hours, one on the streamer, the other on a #22 black midge.

On Boulder creek, I am getting nothing until adding that last piece of split shot. Then getting multiple fish from the same spot when the depth is dialed in.

PS, got skunked the other day too at the same spot
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So thanks everyone for the advice,to answer the questions thrown out there.

I was running 6x flouro leader and tippet, no split shot assuming a size 14 bead head was getting me deep enough to be where I would want to be.

I was fishing the St Vrain this week, a few weeks ago it was Boulder Creek and the Big T. I was trying everything deep runs, riffles, pools , backwaters you name it i ran my rig through it.

I think I need to switch rigs more often, I fished 3 hours today and only switched 4 or 5 times. I ran as point flies San Juan Worm / Size 16 hot wire prince / Flashback Pheasant Tail / Copper John . For droppers I ran a green midge , black zebra midge , purple poison tung , and a rs2.

hmmm maybe instead of buying a 12th fly rod I should pay a guide a 1/2 a day to come show me around.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience on the s Platte yesterday, but we only saw one fish. A guide through a local shop could be a good idea, or check out angling university.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
So thanks everyone for the advice,to answer the questions thrown out there.

I was running 6x flouro leader and tippet, no split shot assuming a size 14 bead head was getting me deep enough to be where I would want to be.

I was fishing the St Vrain this week, a few weeks ago it was Boulder Creek and the Big T. I was trying everything deep runs, riffles, pools , backwaters you name it i ran my rig through it.

I think I need to switch rigs more often, I fished 3 hours today and only switched 4 or 5 times. I ran as point flies San Juan Worm / Size 16 hot wire prince / Flashback Pheasant Tail / Copper John . For droppers I ran a green midge , black zebra midge , purple poison tung , and a rs2.

hmmm maybe instead of buying a 12th fly rod I should pay a guide a 1/2 a day to come show me around.
You would probably be miles ahead to pay a guide for a half day as he can see what your doing and offer corrective advice on the spot. You might also ask your local fly shop for advice, show them what your using and ask for their opinions and maybe buy a few flies from them for their time.
I haven't fished those waters, but I'm guessing they are pretty pressured fish, so using a size 16 nymph is probably "way too big". Like tbblom says, he was using a size 22 black midge (try dropping down into the 18-22 size) and
also pay attention to what he said "I am getting nothing until adding that last piece of split shot". As TJ adviced, you want your rig to be ticking bottom, not all the time but occasionally, if not your not going to be in the zone where the fish are and most important "be sure you are getting a drag free drift". Also pay attention to what TJ mentioned "they are not going to be in their usual spots, but likely podded up in the slower water", that is normal behavior for trout in the cold winter months so look for small seams in the slower deeper runs and prospect there first this time of year.
Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
You would probably be miles ahead to pay a guide for a half day as he can see what your doing and offer corrective advice on the spot. You might also ask your local fly shop for advice, show them what your using and ask for their opinions and maybe buy a few flies from them for their time.
I haven't fished those waters, but I'm guessing they are pretty pressured fish, so using a size 16 nymph is probably "way too big". Like tbblom says, he was using a size 22 black midge (try dropping down into the 18-22 size) and
also pay attention to what he said "I am getting nothing until adding that last piece of split shot". As TJ adviced, you want your rig to be ticking bottom, not all the time but occasionally, if not your not going to be in the zone where the fish are and most important "be sure you are getting a drag free drift". Also pay attention to what TJ mentioned "they are not going to be in their usual spots, but likely podded up in the slower water", that is normal behavior for trout in the cold winter months so look for small seams in the slower deeper runs and prospect there first this time of year.
Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Thank you everyone,

Looks like I will be buying a lot of varieties of small midges and startusing split shot to get them down to the fish. Historically I have ran a big beadhead up front anddo mend my line alot to maintain a drag free drift . I guess my biggest problem is using thos big beadheads they are so heavy I snag alot of debris and rocks and lose more flies on the bottom than in the trees behind me.

Maybe next week I can get out and give it another whirl

The good news is even though I got skunked I had 4 hours of serenity...no phones , no dogs , no nothing so I still won

"Snap it" Hank Patterson