The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Anticipation...

With March here already and this funky winter almost over I can't help getting antsy. Soon the Blue Wings will start showing in solid numbers, then the Hennies and by that time the bugs will be in full swing! I've had some luck with dry midges over the winter but I just can't wait till I don't have to squint and strain to see my fly, right now a #18 will be a welcome change! Anybodyelse getting the sweats waiting out dry fly time? Shoot, I'm already thinking about beetles and inch worms!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anticipation...

I'm right there with you, looking forward to seeing those hatches and fishing to rises! Plus I want to take a steelhead on a dry this year, but that's because I'm a crazy person...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I must be as nuts as you, I've got a bunch of Wulffs tied up on light wire steelhead irons. Once those tribs get upwards of the 50 degree mark I plan on putting some effort in and commiting to a dry.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've been tying giant skating dries, and for some ridiculous reason I have a shred of confidence that they will work on steelhead. Definitely crazy.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

been tying some and ready to GO.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a Troutless zone. My first fish of the season are the big Pike. In the last week I have already had two nights were I had dreams about it. How addicted am I? The itch needs scratchin'.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

You know the waters I fish and the winter we've had so I'll try not to make your anxienty any worse but those striped critters never left us this winter...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Yeah I know I still hear about all the fish around the International Fart Factory's pond and spillway. If they are still there, then there are more than the usual residents up the river.

Nice pattern there Kayo, its got me thinking Sulphurs!

I hear you Dan, I can picture a section of water and it keeps playing over and over in my head.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Got out today a bit in the 40 mph wind. Good casting practice!
I have managed 2 on dries so far this year, almost had a big brown take my spider today, but nymphs and streamers have been keeping me happy. Nothing bigger than 15" lately, but the local creeks have been good for a few fish even on cold days.
There have been midge hatches almost every afternoon when it is warm, but I have only seen the occasional riser...

Splake from today took a big buggy swimming nymph.

Almost identical, maybe even the same fish. Took a bellyache minnow.

Lil' bro took a #20 rainbow warrior.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM

Midges have been producing here pretty well as long as I'm not fishing behind someone. I'm just ready to tie on #14s and up!