The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your favorite....

My two all-time favorites are my Hardy Marksman 11' 6wt which handles big stillwater trout, it roll casts indicator rigs with ease, pounds casts into the wind without much trouble, and is a pleasure to fish with 8-14hrs without any shoulder or arm fatigue. It also is a great bass fishing rod with enough backbone to handle the feisty bronzebacks and the added length helps to cast out poppers and medium sized streamers.

My second favorite is my St.Croix High Stick Drifter 10' 4wt. For nymphing in rivers it is truly fantastic. Whether using the European nymphing techniques like french style where you're working a longer cast or you're short-line nymphing, it has the reach, a very sensitive tip, a strong backbone in case you hook a solid fish, and is ridiculously light in the hand. It also works fairly well as a dry fly rod as well, when matched with a DT line.

Nick
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

For all-purpose here in WV I like a 9' 5wt with a Medium to Med-fast action. Although here lately I've enjoyed getting some use out of my old 8' 6 wt glass rod...

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

6' TFO 2wt Signature with a dt 4wt line. I have used it for 2years now as a go to rod. I fish small creeks for BG and SMB but I am looking for some carp too.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Your favorite....

My favorite rod is the one that I'm using at the time
My second favorite is the one that I'm thinking about using next
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 PM

bluefeather is on a distinguished road

The rod that I'm using the most so far this year is a 8'4" Orvis 3wt midflex 7.0 with 3wt Rio Trout LT loaded on a Teton reel.I mostly fish the small trout waters here in SW Mo.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
All around,most often used rod length,line wt. and action ? Also where and what you fish for most.
My favorite all around, you say?

9' 5 weight fast action

Mostly fast water

Rainbow Trout

Dennis
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I really don't have any favourite Rods even though over the years I have only used 3 main Rods,an Old,Shakespeare,an Old Shimano & a new Sumo as I've been mainly night Fishing lately & haven't been using my top line Rods.
The other Rods I mainly use for day Fishing & on Trips.
Brian.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Out of all of them I'd have to say my old Fenwick Streamer Iron Feather 5wt. How this rod survived the abuse it took over the years is beyond me . But its caught a load of fish and always done the job . Keep on saying I'm gonna retire it to my wall and every year I fond an excuse to use it. Some old things never die!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I keep one rod behind the seat of my truck for those unexpected opportunities and I try to pick a rod that will cover most of the likely scenarios. Usually targeting panfish and bass under 3 pounds (some a lot under).
I've tried everything from 3wt to 6wt rods in lengths from 6'6" to 9', but right now there's a new 8'6" 4wt in the truck and it seems to be very good as the "all round" contender.
The rod (Echo Solo) casts well with a wf4f or a wf5f line, so on those windy days it's still good by simply uplining to the 5wt line, and so far this spring the 5wt line has been required on all my outings.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My Scott S4 9'6" 6wt gets the most use out of my arsenal.