The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Which glue.....

......should i use to glue a cork head on a hook as in a popper style bass bug? I have some thin stuff that works well on the thread portion of the tie but need something more substantial for a head. Your recommendations please. Thanks
Eddy
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which glue.....

Five minute epoxy works well.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use Krazy Glue to cement the cork to (thread wrapped) hook
Hot glue to close the gap and cement the tail to the cork
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Gorilla Glue thinned with water, you could even make a popper head with it as it's foam. It takes a bit of practice to get the ammounts right cause it expands so much.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I use epoxy on most, but have used super glue, and hot glue. Used to get a glue that was similar to model glue, but haven't used it in a long time. It was a clear general purpose glue that came in a tube.

Epoxy will stick to most things, is compatible with most and is likely the strongest. Super Glue also will stick to most things, but not all plastics. Hot Glue is great for cork & balsa. That other glue I used was fine for cork & balsa, not so good on some plastics as it melted the bodies.

I agree with Rip, wrap the hook with thread before gluing, & you'll get a stronger bond.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I used superglue on a hook shank covered with thread. When the popper was done, coated it with 5min epoxy, filling the gap on the bottom.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

They make a hot glue that is glow-in-the-dark. It has an obvious side-effect which is useful for poppers fished at night.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
They make a hot glue that is glow-in-the-dark. It has an obvious side-effect which is useful for poppers fished at night.
I must have it. I must have it now. No seriously, I must have it.