The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road
Default Z-axis stipping guide problem

I took out my 690-4 today and to my dismay, I found that the stripping guide has been damaged. It's a new rod, so I didn't expect this, but since they're a discontinued model, I can't return it for a quick replacement. The metal frame of the guide lookes to have been slightly crushed from the side and is now more of an oval than a circle. It cracked the internal ceramic piece so it's not going to work as-is.

I know that somewhere here in the past couple weeks I read about someone else having this problem with a rod they bought on ebay and they were able to just pop in a new cermic ring. I can't find that thread now, but would like to contact the member that posted it to get some information on how they did it. I don't want to send the rod in for warranty work yet, I haven't even used it!

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Z-axis stipping guide problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowner23 View Post
I took out my 690-4 today and to my dismay, I found that the stripping guide has been damaged. It's a new rod, so I didn't expect this, but since they're a discontinued model, I can't return it for a quick replacement. The metal frame of the guide lookes to have been slightly crushed from the side and is now more of an oval than a circle. It cracked the internal ceramic piece so it's not going to work as-is.

I know that somewhere here in the past couple weeks I read about someone else having this problem with a rod they bought on ebay and they were able to just pop in a new cermic ring. I can't find that thread now, but would like to contact the member that posted it to get some information on how they did it. I don't want to send the rod in for warranty work yet, I haven't even used it!

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt
It doesn't matter whether it's discontinued or not, they can put a new stripping guide on for you in no time at all, just send it to Sage...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

You're probably thinking of the post I made in this thread."Experienced" Scott G2s hard to find? It's not too hard, as long as you can get the original guide round again. If not, a new guide from any good rod builder should only cost $20 to have put on including the guide(I've usually been quoted $10 if I have the guide already).
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to take it to a tackle shop that does rod repair
There's a good chance that they can do an "authorized" repair right there.
If they can't do the "authorized", a replaced stripping guide will cost you about 15 bucks
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Z-axis stripping guide problem

If Sage doesn't just repair it.. I think they have a large number of spare sections they keep on hand to swap out that piece. I think that's why they always want the complete rod, to fit the replaced section to the others if they need too.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

It's under warranty, so I would contact Sage...

Dan
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have to agree with everyone else saying 'contact Sage'. Please let us know how they handle this,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

If it is under warranty Sage charges a repair fee of $50 i think ( was 50 last time i had a warranty repair) It maybe faster and quicker to have it fixed locally. I dont know if a local repair will void the Sage warranty or not. I would call Sage they have awesome customer service.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'll add: Sorry to say, but I'm probably a 'known' customer over there.. and all I have are XPs which have been discountinued for a few years.. never an issue getting a new section and back up fishing in no time