The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orvis Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer

I know a lot of members have mentioned how good the Orvis Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer have been, but I never took the time until recently to take an interest. Lately I have been downloading the podcasts to my IPad and then listening to them while working out at the gym in the mornings, great way to keep from getting bored while working up a sweat, and best of all they are loaded with great information and tips on fly fishing. Take a little time searching through some of the previous episodes, you won't be disappointed. Here is just a sample of the titles from past episodes:
Six Tips on Emergers
Tom's Ten Tips on Winter Fly Fishing
15 Tips on Sight Fishing for Stripers
15 Tips for Fishing the Evening Hatch
Fly Fishing for Pike Part 1 & 2
Ten Tips on Fishing a New Trout Stream
12 Tips for Fishing Spring Runoff
Video: Casting Heavy Flies into the Wind
Stillwater Fly Fishing Tips
Dawn Patrol: Ten Tiips for Early Morning Fishing
Tom's Ten Tip for Identifying and Matching the Hatch
Matchin the Hatch Part 2 - Five More Tips
12 Steps to Summer Dry Fly Fishing
Video: Casting into the Wind with Pete Kutzer
Tom's Tips on Fishing Spring Creeks with Special Guest Orvis Vice-Chairman Dave Perkins
Five Big Tips for Small Streams
12 Tips for Difficult Rises
Ten Tips for Fishing Caddisflies
Fly Fishing Podcasts | Weekly Fly Fishing Podcast Tips | Orvis Fishing Podcasts | Fly Fishing Tips W

Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer

I put them on my Ipod and listen to them in my car which has an integrated Ipod input system. I listen to then at twice the speed. You save time and still can understand what is said.

I think the best fly fishing podcasts are the "Ask about Fly Fishing" podcasts. A recent one by George Daniel on Dynamic Nymphing was excellent.

Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Although you can download them individually from the web site, I subscribe to the podcasts via the Itunes store. They will be downloaded automatically to my Itunes and then to my Ipod.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver: I agree the podcasts on the Fly Fishing Internet Radio are hard to beat. I didn't realize that you could subscribe to them, thanks for the tip.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The reason to subscribe is that podcasts can be played at double speed, and Itunes will remember where you left off. If you download a podcast as an MP3, it is treated by Itunes as a music file so if you leave it to listen to anything else and go back, it will restart at the beginning. Also you can not play it at double speed.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up on Fly Fishing Internet Radio. I had already subscribed to Rosenbauer's podcasts and have really enjoyed them. I didn't know about this one though. I listen to Rosenbauer in my vehicle too while going to the stream or in an airport, airplane, etc. I really enjoy his teaching style.

I'm downloading George Daniel's podcast now. He was to give a presentation at my local fly shop this past weekend but had to cancel due to illness. Hope I can catch him when he reschedules. His book is a good read as well.

More good information from you Silver. You may need to lay low for a while so our expectations of you don't grow exponentially!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Glad I could help.

Thanks for the complement. It made my day!

Here's another podcast site - Fly Fish Radio. Unfortunately, they not longer produce new content.

Fly Fish Radio - CastRoller

Fly Fish Radio Podcasts

I recommend listening to episodes 1,5,13, 28, and 29 with Norm Albison. Unfortunately not all the podcasts are still available like Albison's #1 and 5. Norm teaches fly fishing at the University of Utah. Episode 27 with Denny Rickards and 32 with Mike Andreason on stillwaters are also good. I'd grab these before they go POOF.

You can also watch Three men, Three Rivers from the Montana Wildlife Dept. "A documentary film that explores the lives of three men and their influence on three rivers: George Grant-Big Hole, Bud Lilly-Madison, and Dan Bailey-Yellowstone." I downloaded it as a video podcast by subscribing to the Montana Fish and wildlife podcast via iTunes but you can see it here:

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/videoLib...ideo_0007.html

Silver

Last edited by silver creek; 03-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.