The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM

xxdanielt3 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello!

Hello, I'm 16 years old and new to the forum. I am also wanting to try fly fishing, it looks really interesting. I have been spin fishing since I can remember and I love every minute of it.

The main question/concern I have is, what rod or reel is for me? I'm looking to do small stream, mid-sized to large river, and stillwater fly fishing. What rod and reel combo could get me started out fishing for under $100? That's my budget for rod and reel, i dont wanna go to crazy in case I don't like fly fishing.

Thanks
wt bash likes this.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hello!

Redington crosswater. 5wt. $99 Good luck!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum Daniel. for $ 100 I advise you to look for a used medium fast 9' 5 wt and reel on ebay ...don't forget you'll also need a line,leaders,tippets,flies...etcthe Redington Crosswater combo (rod,reel,line,leader) is around $130 I think...that's a very good deal
Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Daniel!!! I am a relative beginner also (1 year) and can tell you that the ladies/gentlemen of this site are extremely helpful to those of us just getting into fly fishing. I will let the more experienced members answer your question but also have a point worth considering. For a combo under $100.00 it may will be worth watching ebay and buying second hand, for the same money you should be able to get a $200.00+ combo and have equipment that you will be pleased with for many years.

Also check out the "Search" option near the top right side of the page, there will be a lot of hidden info within concerning inexpensive combos and a wealth of knowledge to help you get started. Be patient for your answers, there will be more folks online this evening.

LOL...Two answers before I could write this post.

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

LLBean's Angler ll outfits go for 75-90 bucks, a 5 wt would be a good start or ck out there Quest ll series, both of the two series are what they are, starter kits. Welcome to the site!

Rick
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM

xxdanielt3 is on a distinguished road

Alright, the Redington Crosswater seems doable! Now, this question. How long of a rod do I need, and what are the main reasons they make 8 foot and 9 foot. is there a noticeable difference when casting?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

A factor in rod lenght is how and where you will be fishing. Open water large rivers, lakes and ponds? Or small creeks, tight locations, with lots of overhang and overhead? Open areas go longer, tight areas, consider shorter. There was a thread not too long ago where folks were talking about 6'6" and 7' rods for tight areas.

Also, will you be wading, shore fishing, standing in a bigger boat, sitting in a 'yak or canoe? I went with the 9'0" 5-weight as a good GP (general purpose) rod. The extra 12" gets my fly a bit higher off the water, as I do much of my fishing from a kayak.

Most importantly, WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!! In my very short time fly fishing, I've met some tremendous folks! I only wish that I had joined these ranks when I was 16! (That would have been 1972, if my math is correct! LOL!!!)
BTW - I'm enrolled in a fly tying class, that's on it's 6th week. The class has about 15 students, aged from mid-70's to one 8 y/o who comes every week with his grandfather. BY FAR, the best fly-tyier of the group of us is a 14 y/o, who learned to tie on his own, by reading, watching youtube vids, and just trying things out! Even a few of the instrucors have learned some tips from him! So my point is that age is no boundary or obstacle in this fine sport!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Daniel,

@ 16, shouldn't you be chasing girls and robbing old ladies of their purses and stuff like that? Maybe a high speed chase with the cops? or two? Any buildings you could set on fire? (Don't try any of the fore mentioned stunts at home, I am a trained professional.....)

If you must fly fish, I'd say either length would be good-- but I would look at the 9 footers. They will offer better line mends for a beginner, they will load up a little easier, and give a little more distance. How appreciative a difference it will make-- I don't know-- but unless you are in some super tight water, I would go with the longest stick possible.

Also, look at some of the cabelas offerings-- they have some really nice combos that will leave some skin left over for flies, tippet, leaders, etc.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Also, look at some of the cabelas offerings-- they have some really nice combos that will leave some skin left over for flies, tippet, leaders, etc.
I agree. Check out the Wind River combos in the bargain cave
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

RIGHT ON!! Its pretty cool to someone your age get into it, but beware it could take your life over!!! In a good way ofcourse. The others have given you a good head start so my only advice is to find a girlfriend that "gets it" Have fun and welcome aboard!