The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need some help guys....fly line loop

I appreciate the help guys, but nail knots won't do for what I want. I need a loop in the fly line. I appreciate the search comment littledavid, but I already read that. I don't tie, nor do I have the stuff I need for that. Looks like a simple (bulky) perfection loop is my only option

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I nail knot mono to the flyline and add a perfection loop to the mono for the leader attachment
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Check out this YouTube video. I've used this on most of my lines, including my saltwater rig, and it has not failed yet, even with some big stripers.

He uses super glue, but I've been using Bohnings Platinum fletching glue because it is waterproof and a little flexible.

Warning, the man is from New Zealand and jokingly calls us backward for using nail knots...some of the comments about that on YouTube demonstrated a real lack of a sense of humor on the part of some.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Use the chinese finger trap like connectors?
That's what I use when I want a fly line loop. But the pre-made ones are no good in my opinion. You have to splice them up yourself.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM

no time is on a distinguished road

I have been using the Castwell knot. I would post a link however I'm not sure if it would be in violation of the forum rules. A quick Google search should take you right to it.
This knot has not failed me yet, hope it helps.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I rig up a loop like Frank showed; except I just do one nail knot to secure it. You can use a drop of super glue if you like, or cover the nail knot with Knot Sense. I use 17# test Maxima for the nail knot.

Dan
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. i'll figure it out eventually

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I usually whip loops with 3/0 tying thread and coat it with Pliobond or I nail knot a small piece of hard mono with a perfection loop in the end. I use the braided loops sometimes and performed a few tests on the Rio ones. They held great, but I wouldn't put them up against something huge.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I cut them off and use a nail knot with a dab of head cement for sealant, never really liked the loops for some reason.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I make loops like Frank does, except, I don't leave a gap in the thread. I will connect the line together, put a little super glue on the doubled over section, wrap with thread til the loop is the size I want it, whip finish, and then coat the thread with flexament or some other pliable cement.

Now, I have used nail knots for leader to fly line, but I tie them so infrequently I am not very good at them and I find loops much easier to work with if you have to replace a leader on the water.

I have never had a loop as described fail, but most of the fish I catch are in the 10 lb or less range.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.