The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Need some help guys....fly line loop

Some fly lines come with built in loops for loop to loop connection with leaders and some don't. Sometimes even with the ones that do, people cut them off. So I have fly line (without a built-in loop) and I wonder what you guys do? Tie your own loop? If so, what kind? Use the chinese finger trap like connectors? I appreciate all advice.
Matt

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need some help guys....fly line loop

I never cut it off.. the factory loop is better 'tied' and sealed than anything I could ever do.

I just bought a sinking tip line that didn't have one... used a nail knot, to die on a section of mono-butt, with a loop
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Nail knot a 12" piece of .021" or .024" thick mono to the fly line. Then I tie a Perfection Loop on the end of it.

Sometimes I'll use a braided loop. I will use this if I plan on using polyleaders with the floating line.

Sometimes I'll weld my own loop. I rarely do this.
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Yep I'm with Dave on that one.

Rick
Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

When the factory loop cracks, I make my own:
Click the image to open in full size.

That picture is a couple years old, and I only use one whip now (but keep the loop small like in the picture). Two wraps like in the picture is probably better for saltwater or sturgeon, and way too bulky for my current tastes. I cut the line at a steep angle, and glue the cut section with a tiny drop of CA glue. This seals the end and holds the loop in place while I make a few wraps and a whip finish. I apply a very light coat of Loctite's flexible sealant, and roll it between my fingers to push it into the thread wraps. I've fished these loops for countless hours, and have never had a problem with a single one.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I attach a furled leader directly to the fly line. I don't want a mono section in between. Before I tied a loop (a little too big) and attached my furled leader loop to loop. I need to make it streamlined, but the process Frank mentioned might be a little much for me, albeit very nice. I guess what I'm asking is what is the most streamlined way to tie your own loop?

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I'm with MoscaPescador, except I use a NEEDLE Nail Knot.

Tying a Needle Nail Knot | MidCurrent
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Making a loop on your Fly Line.

Use the search feature and look up this thread by Frank!

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Pescador.

I cut off the loop and nail knot the mono to the end of the fly line. Coat the knot with Pliobond to smooth the knot. I think you can get a thicker mono .020", matching the diameter of the end of the fly line, with a nail knot than a needle knot.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I have had a couple of the braided loop's pull off of the end of my fly line while fighting king salmon...Not the best feeling in the world, since then I have been using nail knot's.