The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FrankB2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our New Fishing Canoe....Caution.....

Contains carbon fiber/Kevlar eye candy...LOL!!!

We sold the old red Royalex, and bought a Bell Canoe Works Morningstar. It's made of Bell's "Blackgold" carbon/kevlar weave, and is MUCH lighter than the last canoe. You really can't see it in the pics, but the finish on this canoe is a mile deep! We took it out Saturday for a test paddle, ignoring the 20mph winds. Actually, that's the best test I can think of. It matches my furniture as well. The ash gunwales are bare, and I'll have to oil them before we go fishing. It looks interesting on top of my Jeep's rusty roof. Someone's going to think we stole it...

Click the image to open in full size.
Yvonne's Back:
The Jeep is Going to Need Paint....

Fishing from a canoe again will reduce Yvonne's likelihood of breaking her ankle again, and that's largely the reason we bought another one. The material is super light, and it's supposed to weigh 48lbs. Makes the prospect of carrying it around seem less like a chore, and Yvonne didn't have to take a break when we carried it from the lake shore to the parking lot. Throw enough money at something, and all the "cons" disappear.

EDIT: The pic of the canoe in the water is a bit deceiving. The hull looks cloudy or camo, but that's just the mirror finish reflecting the water surface. It's black, and looks like the carbon fiber hoods you see on Japanese "Tuners".
Jackster and Rip Tide like this.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Our New Fishing Canoe....Caution.....

That's some beautiful living room furniture, you must have a very understanding wife . And you're right, it does put your jeep to shame. nice canoe enjoy it in health.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Gorgeous! May I take her for a spin? Do they make solo boats?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Congrats on a great looking canoe!!!!! One of my kayak friends has a kevlar canoe similiar to that and it is really amazing how light they are making canoes nowdays. You and Yvonne are really going to enjoy fishing from that rig.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If I see a jeep like that with your new canoe on top, I see a man who has his priorities right. Having owned kevlar canoes in the past, one thing I can tell you is they don't like to be bent around rocks or scraped up against. The black is a cool color on a canoe...Enjoy

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Very nice lines! At 48#, it should be a dream to move around. My OT Loon 138 1-person 'yak weights more than that! (But I need a big boat for my big arse...)

Does it have a flat bottom or a keel? (I didn't notice a line of keel fasteners running down the bottom, inside.) And for those not aware, a keel allows it to track straighter in open water, while no or little keel makes it more manuverable in tight or moving water.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a flat bottom without keel, Rick. Bell uses other design features to help with tracking and speed. An assymetrical hull is one feature that most Bell canoes have, and it also increases speed. We were a bit surprised at how well it tracked with Saturday's wind and waves, and we paddled at all points to the wind. Our last canoe was a Bell Northwind. That was a nice canoe, but a bit too much for solo paddling.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
If I see a jeep like that with your new canoe on top, I see a man who has his priorities right.
keeps it stored in the living room too !
Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice canoe Frank, now be careful so no one gets wet............ Seems I remember a story about getting wet

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM

You guys should see my "dining room". I can assure you that there is no dining going on in that room. Actually, I have my radio control Piper Cub (80" wingspan and 4-stroke engine) in my bedroom. You might wonder what Yvonne thinks of all this. Well, she considers the canoe and R/C gear to be just as much hers! P.S. Yvonne has been bugging me to paint the Jeep for a LONG time. I have a friend who owns a body shop, but to get the friend discount, he needs the Jeep for a week. The new canoe might be the tipping point.....

Last edited by FrankB2; 03-10-2012 at 07:32 AM.