The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM

jborn is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Assembly Question

I was at a meeting where one of the speakers taught that to avoid having your graphite rod come apart during fishing one should twist the rod during assembly to “lock” the pieces together. When one dissembles the rod then you twist in the opposite direction. Is this sound advice? I seem to remember being told not to twist the rod pieces when assembling the rod.

Thanks

jlb
Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Assembly Question

I think it's not a good advice at all....never twist a graphite rod...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I put rods together, I bang the end on the ground after each piece is added. Holds forever that way. On a more serious note, I've heard to twist and not to twist, so I called the tech department at Sage a few years ago. They said twist all you want. I asked if they could be twisted too much, and the tech said, "Nope". I twist them a bit, but not much. It usually makes taking them apart too difficult if they're twisted the recommended 90 degrees.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You don't ever want to twist a rod that has metal ferrules, especially bamboo

Giving a twist to a rod with spigot or tip over butt ferrules is probably fine
Personally, I keep my sections from separating by waxing the male end ... just not metal ones
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Use ferrule wax and twist.

the wax is the most important part. it helps hold the pieces together and will helps prevent the pieces from sticking when you are taking it apart.

the mentality of not twisting is "old" info.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Use paraffin on the male ferrule, never ear or nose oil. I carry a birthday candle in my vest. I put the pieces together a bit off center and twist to line up the guides and seat the ferrule. Hold each piece close to the ferrule. I've never had a problem.

When you are twisting , you can feel the resistance. This is the safeguard against rod breakage. I don't think you can adequately seat the ferrules or line up the guides without twisting.

Line up the guides, not by sighting down the rod with the guides on top as most do. Sight with the guides facing down. As you sight down the top of the rod blank, you can see how much of the sides of the guides project on each side of the rod blank. When the rod blank transects the guides down the center, you are perfectly lined up.

Try it and see if this is not a better way to center the rod sections.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Burts Bee's is what I use but I've heard nose oil is fine, curious as to why not?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Burts Bee's is what I use but I've heard nose oil is fine, curious as to why not?
Body oil contains fatty acids and salt. But worst is that it contains fine particles of dirt. It is an abrasive.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

My Clearwater II came with ferrule wax, so i wax it. I called TFO tech guy and he advised not to wax theirs.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

silver creek, back 40 some yrs ago i was taught to use the ear oil(behind the bottom lobe) on the male end of the ferrel. I can see your point. As for lining up the guides, the rods i have built have got small dots on both sections for that very purpose. Small but great feature. No guessing.
Eddy