The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Drying wheel ?

Who uses one? Has any of you made your own? What components did ya use. I'm sure they are sold and built commercialy but who? If you built yours please give details, pics, or even a diagram. I think i need one.
EddyThanks
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drying wheel ?

I use a rotisserie motor mounted on a inverted "T" of scrap wood.
A "wheel" of lobster buoy foam to hold the flies
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have thought about building one, but have not yet. Mostly think of it when tying chironomids and adding some SHHAN to the flies.

I have heard rotisserie motors are good for these as Rip Tide mentioned, seems like you don't need a fast speed motor, just something that continously moves.

If I run into an old rotisserie, with a working motor, I may do this, just have not gotten around to it yet.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Check the thrift stores in your area for a Rotissere Motor. I got mine for a buck.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 AM

I thought about a motor from an old VCR. Not sure of the necessary speed but yes i would say slow is what's needed. 110 V or even a 12 volt unit would do the trick. We would build our swimming decoys with small battery operated motors from hobby lobby but they would need a gear reduction or a series of belts to slow em down. I'll do some more diggin. That rotisserie from a BBQ grill would be spot on.
Eddy
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Yes I built one using a junked microwave dish turner and it is just the right speed and the right price. Built a stand out of scrap wood. I don't like the fly holding wheel on mine so I will be looking for some kind of foam wheel to mount. I didn't even put a switch on mine. Just plug it in when I use it. However I don't use a lot of epoxy so it doesn't get a lot of use
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I built 2 dryers about 1 ˝ ago, one for a buddy and myself. I had close to $24.00 in each dryer for the motor, cord, wood, foam pad, PVC 1" end cap and alligator clips used to hold your files. I found the foam pads at Wal-Mart back in the hardware section; they are used for moving furniture. The alligator clips I purchased from Radio Shack and what I did was buy some heavy straight pins cut them down to size and by using a crimping tool I secured them to the ends of the alligator clips, just stick it in the foam wheel (pad) and round and round they go! For mounting the foam wheel (pad) to the shaft, take a 1" hole-saw and drill a hole in the CENTER of the foam wheel (pad), then take the 1" PVC end cap and drill a hole one size smaller then the shaft size (in the CENTER to keep in balance) this will give a secure fit on the shaft, then place the PVC end cap on the shaft and insert the foam wheel (pad) on the end cap. There you go!! Really nothing more than that to making a dryer.
You can find several different motor on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=dry ing+motor+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Click the image to open in full size.

mudbug and kibby like this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

nice DIY rig and write up. thanks for the info.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
nice DIY rig and write up. thanks for the info.

d
I agree. Well done, Popper!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Popper. i really like the inline on/off switch. Saves plugging in and unpluging. You must be one of those usin your head kinda guys. Very functional unit if i say so myself. I'm on the hunt for pieces. Thanks
Eddy