The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: N. Carolina

Frank,

here is an idea of how bad it really is. where I am standing is usualy around waist/chest deep.

Click the image to open in full size.

and yet I managed to get another seven bass all around this size in these ponds (3 aproxiamently 40 yds long and 25 yds wide)
Old 09-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

tbrillinger223,

Wow, that is low. Did you see the pictures that Andy posted from the Houston in E. Tennessee? They must have more water than you do in NC. Well at least you are catching some fish and that is what counts. Keep those pictures coming.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

Nice fish tbrillinger223! Hope you can get a few trout while you're up this way. It looks and sounds like you're having a large time anyway, and in the end, that's all that matters anyway. By the way, don't let the off color water prevent you from fishing (within reason) the streams. Try tossing some larger dark colored Wooly Buggers or Zonkers along the stream banks, you might latch on to a brown. I started to say during high water and off color water conditions, but it will take a lot of rain to make high water conditions. Do a rain dance or two while you are here! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:04 PM

hey guys,

no trout yet. the only ones I have seen have been in pictures and at the tennessee aquarium. I hope to get some of those elusive fish next week. we will be heading over to cades cove, tenn. in the gsmnp. there is abrahams creek that is supposedly the "go to" creek for trout. will keep you posted and hopefully some trout and pics.(trout fishing is alot harder than flats fishing!!!)
Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 PM

hey guys,

I went trout fishing finally!! got several rises but no fish. it is a lot harder than I would have imagined.

hopefully next year i will produce some trout
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi tbrillinger223,

Well I can see your problem right off. You have the rod in the wrong hand. The trout in that area are right handed trout. Sorry you didn't get any fish but it looked like a good spot. You should have a better idea what to do next year.

Frank
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Frank,

I think you are right about the trout, they had something against a southpaw. I had a terrible time with the wind in this valley and stretch of water. I had to side-arm my casts to get them under the overhanging branches directly across from me. maybe next year I will go a little lighter on the rod (3wt maybe). I noticed that the trout up there were rather small around this time of year, locals said around 2-3 lbs. average.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Hi tbrillinger223,

There is a lot of side arm casting in those small streams. If you know a spot in NC that has trout that average 2 to 3 pounds, you better keep it a secret between you and me.

A shorter rod can sometimes be an advantage in small stream fishing. A lighter line weight also may give you less water disturbance on the cast. Did you see fish and couldn't get a hit or they just weren't there? The problem going with a lighter rod is it will make the wind casting even harder. Maybe a short 5wt would be a good choice.

Frank
Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks Frank,

The little stream I found was Jimmies Trout Farm.....(j/k) I did find out that alot of the local streams and rivers are stocked during the summer. this particular stretch of stream that i was fishing is a delayed harvest from oct. 1 through april i believe. talked to several locals up there and said several of the larger tributaries and rivers have a healthy trout population, as far as size there have been reports decent trout catches over the last few years. I definitley need a 7-1/2 foot rod and maybe go down to a 4wt at the smallest. I managed my 8 foot 5wt very well for a first timer with a tight stream and alot of over hang. only managed to get hung up in the trees a few times.