The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fast Action Rods and Effort

I see time after time while browsing fly fishing forums the statement that fast action rods tend to require more effort and energy to cast. I must say I feel the exact opposite is usually true. Fast action rods generally require a shorter castuing stroke, require less inertia to get a fly line moving, and are generally more resposive (higher frequency) than slower action rods, and in many cases lighter in weight than lesser action rods. I'm wondering what others think about this statement of Fast= more work and more effort. Any theories?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fast Action Rods and Effort

I'm probably a poor caster but I find with a faster action I have to move the rod faster since a shorter section of the rod is moving the line. A medium/medium fast action flexes deeper and seems that it moves the line in a larger radius with less effort - but that's just me.
BlueDun, Rip Tide and mrfzx like this.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i agree. With a medium action rod it takes a couple strokes to get to 60 feet. 2 strokes for me. one if i have the head out. As long as you are casting a fast action rod with a soft tip its very nice.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I love the feel of medium to medium fast rods, a fast action rod is stiff for me, but, myabe it is because I don't have a good high dollar one. In any case, I am told the stroke for a fast action should be more compact, but I fight with it more than I do my medium action rods, probably because I am more used to the timing on the slower rods. I am going to try this year to get more proficient at the faster rods I have.

So for me, more work with the faster action, although I am sure it is technique at this point.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I realy like a good fast action rod, but have had a few that were too fast. I feel less fatigue casting a nice fast action rod, and it's easier to shoot alot of line quick. I'm also way more accurate with a fast action rod. As long as they'r fast with a soft tip(realy like my Scott S4's for this quality) I like it.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

No expert here but I have found that they maybe take slightly less effort but the timing has to be very close to load the rod properly. I like my 5 slower action rods for there forgiveness and ease of loading in spite of my bad habits when casting. My favorite rod is the out of production SAGE SP its a nice sweet rod that almost will almost cast itself for me and tries hard to fix my casts for me in mid air..LOL
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

As an addicted park caster, I can say that I quite often get into casting sessions that far surpass anything that would even remotely compare to the amount of casts that might result even from a full day of fishing. I also consider myself to be a "cast and compare" junkie.
I will often go out there with 3 or even 4 rods so that I might gain some knowledge as to the similarities and differences of as many different rods and actions as I can get into my hands. Often times casting just one rod can give you an impression that the particular rod in hand casts as well as any other rod out there. It isnt until mutiple rods are cast side by side that you can gain exceptional knowledge of a rods positive attributes as well is its shortcomings against the others. Not speaking of which action rods I prefer, I can honestly say that I feel that fast rods are quite noticably easier (in terms of energy spent) to cast as opposed to the slower, heavier rods. As you get up into the 7wt and 8wt and up area the effort and energy to cast seems to be compounded 3 fold. Carrying 70' of WF 8wt line in the air with a slow rod gets to be down right work at times. I can honestly say that I believe a good fast action rod cuts the energy expanded in half as compared to the slow rods. At about the 10th or 20th long cast with a slow rod you can really feel the fatigue in your shoulder and your forearm where as a fast action might feel pleasurable the entire time. Just my .02 cents I guess, and certainly just my opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
No expert here but I have found that they maybe take slightly less effort but the timing has to be very close to load the rod properly. I like my 5 slower action rods for there forgiveness and ease of loading in spite of my bad habits when casting. My favorite rod is the out of production SAGE SP its a nice sweet rod that almost will almost cast itself for me and tries hard to fix my casts for me in mid air..LOL
I think preference is completely objective. In fact I would bet that most people in general enjoy a slightly slower action. I'm speaking more along terms of shear effort involved. Maybe the two (stroke and energy expended) overlap a bit?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
I'm probably a poor caster but I find with a faster action I have to move the rod faster since a shorter section of the rod is moving the line. A medium/medium fast action flexes deeper and seems that it moves the line in a larger radius with less effort - but that's just me.
No not just you. You have hit on a good point here. Pegboy probably doesn't see the effort thing because he is a very good distance caster. He does the late rotaion, late haul and blistering line speed thing. You on the other hand said "I'm probably a poor caster" and therefore aren't doing any of that. The point you made about "I have to move the rod faster since a shorter section of the rod is moving the line" is a very good one. You don't have the line speed Pegboy does, and therefore find the fast rod to be more work. Conversely, I don't think a slower rod would help Pegboy out in the slightest. In fact I know it wouldn't. Where Pegboy said "I think preference is completely objective. In fact I would bet that most people in general enjoy a slightly slower action." I'm sure he's absolutely correct on that. He has a bad case of the distance bug, and therefore casts about a million casts more than your average guy. I have a friend like that. I've seen this bug before, not sure there's a cure. That explains why he has the idea he has, and why you have the idea you have. To an extent, both are correct but based on the type caster that the two of you are.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Its been my experience that nothing trumps practice. The more I practice and fish with my rods, the better I become. I went from a Cabelas Fish Eagle wet noodle to a tip-flex Orvis Hydros, and MAN what a difference. Still learning it, but I love it!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

The whole question comes down to Physics, and perception. I will dispense with chatter about rod materials, lamination techniques, flex patterns (which section of the rod flexes more/less), etc.. These are all factors, but lets just make the issue more streamlined.....

With any rod you are using the length of the rod as a lever (3rd class) with your elbow or shoulder (depending on your motion) being the fulcrum, and your hand supplying the effort force. The line at the tip being the resistance force or load. The caviate is that the rod also provides elastic potential energy. The fast action rods, usually being "stiffer" have a much higher elastic coefficient, meaning it takes more force to get the rod to flex a given distance. A slower flex rod bends more evenly and further with the same load. Both will produce the same energy, the fast rod through a shorter stroke, the slower rod through a longer stroke.

The amount of scientific work done is determined by the force applied and the distance over which that force was applied. So for the fast action rod, more force X short distance. The slower rod: less force X longer distance. For any given two rods the work done should be equal.....however reality is never that easy. Perception always throws a hitch in things: we are all unique, and we all perceive things differently.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Basically......its all about technique and prefernce. I like slow action rods if I am fishing small streams. Fast action if I have to cast over about 50 feet.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 03-09-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: misquote