The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 03:54 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Larger fish equipment question-Salmon -steelhead

I used my 6/7 wt this entire season, never got around to the "larger" fish rod/reel.

Today I booked 16 days in Alaska, somehow the wife thinks this is a great idea and I should take my fly rod. LOL's That was kind of the point of going to Alaska! We're staying in Anchorage in August.

Anyways, any advice here. Where to fish, what to fish for and in this case the advice of rod/reel/line/weight I'd need.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbris View Post
Hi Dogger,
I have an inexpensive, but excellent reel for salmon and steelhead (Pflueger Medalist 1595 1/2). I fish some tough water on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State and this reel has hauled in several "hogs" and has yet to fail me. Here is a link about salmon/steelhead reels by the excellent guide Dennis Dickinson of Washington Reels for Steelhead Flyfishing by Dennis Dickson. Good luck.

Keith
What does the 1/2 mean? What wt line does it hold and what wt rod is best used?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbris View Post
Hi Dogger,
I have an inexpensive, but excellent reel for salmon and steelhead (Pflueger Medalist 1595 1/2). I fish some tough water on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State and this reel has hauled in several "hogs" and has yet to fail me. Here is a link about salmon/steelhead reels by the excellent guide Dennis Dickinson of Washington Reels for Steelhead Flyfishing by Dennis Dickson. Good luck.

Keith
What does the 1/2 mean in this reel? I see they make one for up to 8# and one up to 11# and mentions that it holds 35-65 yards of 20# backing, is that too little for these sized fish?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

Hello again dogger,

Personally I'd go for the larger reel. Most of the people up here I know use 100 yards of backing. Not sure what the strength is though, been too long since I put the backing on my reel. My tippet is normally 12# test or less though, so I would think that 20# backing would be plenty strong . . .

On an interesting, if only slightly related side note, using my 8 weight I rarely ever do go into the backing on it. It's strong enough I can hold most all fish back pretty well. When I have gone into the backing though it's been way into the backing so I like to make sure I have plenty on there, just in case. Hooked into a silver this year that in one run took me about 30 yards into the backing, but that's the only time I've seen it all season.

And one more comment before I leave . . . If you get a chance to fish for Chum (or Dog) salmon, don't write them off. Most of the sport fisherman I meet up here are not interested in them at all but they can really be a lot of fun to catch. They strike easily and fight well. Not quite sure why people have such low respect for them . . .

--W