The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dropper flies

I've never used a dropper fly and in all honesty, I'm a little confused about attaching it to the fly line. Any help will be appriciated. Any suggestions on your favorite steelhead fly would also be appriciated.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dropper flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I've never used a dropper fly and in all honesty, I'm a little confused about attaching it to the fly line. Any help will be appriciated.
A dropper is a nymph or emerger pattern that is "dropped" off of the bend of a dry fly. Tie a tippet to the bend of the dry fly and then tie the dropper fly to the other end, the length of the tippet is generally 12-18".

The heavier the dropper fly, the more buoyant the dry fly has to be to support the dropper. A Hopper dropper set up is one method. The dry fly serves as the indicator fly for the dropper fly.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-09-2012, 03:55 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

By dropper do you mean tying a second fly below the first, like a dry-dropper set up?
If that's the case I always tie an improved clinch know onto the bend of the hook of the first fly and then tie a second fly 12 to 18 inches below that.
Other people do it differently, I think the "proper" way is to tie a blood knot or an surgeons knot and leave the tag on one end a couple inches long and tie your first fly to the tag and your second at the end.
Hope that helped

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally droppers were wet flies tied in above the "point" fly that was at the "point" of the tippet. Often there was two or more "droppers" tied in with dropper loops. Above the droppers and highest on the leader was the "bob" fly which dapped on the surface.

I fish droppers a lot and most often I'll use 2 streamers or a streamer "chasing" a nymph or wet. I tie mine in as Carl describes on the tag end of a knot.
The truck'n'trailer style (hopper dropper) where the dropper is tied to the upper fly's hook bend is actually the least desirable way as the fish has to push the dropper tippet out of the way to get to the upper fly
Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM

flyweaver is on a distinguished road

Tie a colored piece of mono on the end of your leader to this attach a piece of leader about 4' long I use 6# flourcarbon, to this I tie 4# fluor. about 20". When you join the two pieces leave about a 6" tag of the 6# to tie your dropper to put a heavier fly on the point and dead drift watching the sighter. If it stops lift your rod quickly a couple of inches, You may be suprised at the results
Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I tie a dropper off the main leader; don't like tying off of the first fly. When I add my final tippet to my leader when Steelhead fishing I use one of the tags for an egg pattern and tie a stonefly nymph or a caddis larvae pattern for my point fly.

Another way you can accomplish this is by tying on a length of your final tippet size with a blood knot or a double surgeons knot, then decide where you want your dropper fly to be. Tie a triple surgeons loop at that point, then measure how long a dropper you want and clip it at that point; the rest of the line in the loop becomes your point leader.

Dan
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM

zslayer is on a distinguished road

Some great info.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I frequently do a variation on Czech nymphing where I fish a heavy nymph on point, and use an egg further up the leader as a strike indicator of sorts. I normally tie it onto a 6-8" tag though, so its not super reliable as an indicator.

However, I was these the other day, and realized that eggs tied on these would make the perfect in line indicator-

Click the image to open in full size.

The even make them down to size 8. I guess I'll just have to decide if nearly a buck a hook is worthwhile- VMC Spinshot Dropshot Hooks

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That looks great for those days where the fish are keying in on indicator hatches Like my first cast today... only fish I saw rise toward my line and it was to a thingamabobber... figures

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 AM

orff8800 is on a distinguished road

I tie a clinch knot onto the bend of the first fly and it works well for me, with the tippet being about 12-18 inches, echoing what some others have said.

As far as steelhead flies, various egg patterns work well for me...either that or swinging brightly colored tube flies.