The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM

adamjjf is on a distinguished road
Default Trout Mounts?

Hey guys. I had a quick question concerning the mounting of trophy trout. I know the color in the skin fades after they die and wondered if that is something that can be corrected in the mounting process?

Or is it just better to have a replica made?

Are replicas as life-like as a mount? I kind of feel like a real mount would be a waste of a beautiful fish and really like the idea of telling people that the trout on the wall is still swimming in the river out back.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trout Mounts?

With out trying to offend with as scarce as a trophy trout are go with the replica. I have 1 trout "skin" mount (caught 25 years ago)and it is beautiful but I wish I had never killed that trout. That big Brown was a part of a wonderful week long trip of hiking/fishing SOLO on the Chattooga river. And what did I do to this Wild trophy who made it the best trip ever I kiiled him and still regret it. Few taxidermist do skin mounts anymore, many will still do a replica even if you bring the dead fish in. To answer your question is no replicas do not look as good a skin mounts but they are they way to go.But if you take good measurements and a couple of good pics the replicas are nice enough and the best part is there is still a trophy fish swimming to be caught again. The old faded "fish lodge" mounts are from a technique not used anymore. I have several mounts of my fathers which were done in the early 70's and none of them have faded in 40 years

My buddy caught a 29" Brown weighing about 16lbs, he released the fish after taking measurements and pics quickly. He had a replica done and a 7x10 in a recessed frame of him holding the fish with the fly he caught him on mounted in the frame hanging underneath the replica. I couldn't live with myself if this fish had been killed. caught my Captain Mark Scarborough of Southeastern Anglers 29" and aprox 16lbs
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by zug buggin; 03-09-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I absolutely agree with zug buggin....replicas look great and there is no reason to kill a fish for a mount.

having said that....there's no need to kill the fish taking pictures either. I got buck fever over a steelie last winter taking hero shots and luckily my pal was there to suggest giving the fish a drink...it happens.

-Mike
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Try to take one good broadside pic of your trout. There are some really good taxidermists out there who can do wonders on replica mounts. Without the picture your replica will have standard colors and markings.
Shop around when choosing your guy and ask to see some of his painted replicas. Years ago when my son was small he caught a huge pumpkinseed sunfish . The colors on this fish were dark due to the tannic lake it was caught in and the markings were brilliant and unique. The guy I had do it painted it more like a bluegill. Very disappointing .
Several years ago I brought the mount to a guy by me for a repaint. It was fantastic. And all he needed was the picture. Difference between an artist and a guy doing the bare minimum .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Are replicas cheaper than an actual mount?

- Tyler

Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

If ya have to have a mount then do a replica. Do as the guys above and take some good measurements. Save the real guy and let em live. You will have the great memory of not being the slayer of a living trophy. YOU will have the memory of that fish and the way he fought knowing he will fight again. This alone has to give you a good feeling and put a smile on your face. Whether or not the mount will look real is not relevant. It will be close enough. The real fish will live not only in your mind but also in the streams and rivers that you frequent knowing he's still there. I wish everyone felt this way. Anymore questions?
Eddy
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road

why should it matter if the color fades when the fish dies? the fish will be painted after it is mounted. and I dont think taking one big fish out once in a while is going to hurt anything.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftlessman View Post
why should it matter if the color fades when the fish dies? the fish will be painted after it is mounted. and I dont think taking one big fish out once in a while is going to hurt anything.
No 1 fish won't matter but what happens when that becomes the norm every fisherman decides it's ok to take 1 big fish, then we have no more big fish..... JUST SELFISH
Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

the guy that makes these mounts that I do some photowork for sometimes, his real mounts are cheaper then a bust, and im many cases the bust with out paint is as expensive as having the real fish mounted and painted, as long as good photos are provided the real fish should end up painted to match if the taxidermist has any skills at all. as with the not taking of big fish I am for this on most cases but I know there are some situations where fish dont survive.

the striper in the photo in 4+ft long and painted.
MIke
Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
No 1 fish won't matter but what happens when that becomes the norm every fisherman decides it's ok to take 1 big fish, then we have no more big fish..... JUST SELFISH
I have to agree with the Zug,

I take salmon every year to eat but I have not taken a trout or steelhead trout since the 1980's. Before I was privy to owning a pocket camera I caught and released a goodly number of fish that I'm sure could have ended up on a wall. Why? I always wondered that, why/ The cost alone was always enough to give me pause, I have not been able to spend the past 23 years doing nothing on a full time basis except fly fishing by squandering my money. This year I may catch some large fish, the idea that I would spend any money that I could use to buy gas for the river boat on a fish mount is not even on the radar. After you fish long enough you may end up like many before you have, you don't care about proving that you caught anything to anyone in particular. If you are fishing because you love it, that's how you'll fish, just for you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;