The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default What Rod Weight(s) for the Kern River?

I'm taking a 2 day trip to the Kern River at the end of March. I was planning on bringing my 9' 5 weight. I was wondering if there is another weight rod I should be considering for this river.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Rod Weig

I can speak for the Kern River in California, not sure if that's the Kern you were asking about. A 9' 5wt would be good or even a 4wt. The Kern River Fly Shop in the town of Kernville is a good source of info. Were you planning to fish the upper or lower Kern River. Can also get into some Golden Trout but that will take more work; a lighter rod would also probably better (3 or 4 wt).
Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
I can speak for the Kern River in California, not sure if that's the Kern you were asking about. A 9' 5wt would be good or even a 4wt. The Kern River Fly Shop in the town of Kernville is a good source of info. Were you planning to fish the upper or lower Kern River. Can also get into some Golden Trout but that will take more work; a lighter rod would also probably better (3 or 4 wt).
Yep, that's the river I don't know which part of the river we'll be at. I'm going to be driving down after a business trip in San Jose. I'm meeting my brother-in-law there for 2 days before I fly back to NY. I didn't know if my 7'6" 3wt would be a good complement to my 5wt.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: What Rod Weight(s) for the Kern River?

auntrout has given you good info, I'll add this;

Kern River Fly Fishing Forum - An Error Has Occurred!

I hope its ok to post a link, its a very small forum.

Rick
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Are you staying in the town of Kernville? If so, you'll probably be fishing the upper Kern. Great fishing between the town of Kernville north to Johnsondale bridge. The Kern River Hwy runs parallel to the river so water access is pretty easy. North of Johnsondale bridge you'll have to hike in.

I think the owner of Kern River Fly Shop developed the Kern Candy so you should be able to pick some up at the shop if you can't tie them before. The fly shop is right in the middle of the town of Kernville.

I personally have not fished the lower Kern. If you are driving down from San Jose you'll be going down either highway 5 or 99 and will make your way to the 178 which will take up along Lower Kern. Down in the valley they have some warm water species and as you go up river you'll get into the trout up to Lake Isabella. Lower Kern is tailwater from Lake Isabella. The city of Kernville is north of the lake. The Kern River Fly Shop has guide services if that's of interest. I've heard the owner of the shop give numerous presentations on fishing the Kern and he seems really good. Never hired his services myself.

Last edited by auntrout; 03-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

And bring wading staffs and wear wader belts, this river can be difficult, and deadly at times. This year the snowpack is extremely light so the flows should be manageable. I don't think the GTW will be open at that time so I would leave the little stick at home, mebbe bring a 9fer4 as backup instead. milt.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM

zslayer is on a distinguished road

When I fished the Kern I used a 5wt.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM

I decided to just bring my 5wt. My Brother-in-law is going to let me use one of his extra 4 wts if I want.