The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Simms Wader cleaning

Simms website says to clean with powder detergent, gentle cycle and use cold water for wash and rinse. I threw them in the washer and after watching the machine agitate for a second I decided to just let them soak for awhile. Took them out and rinsed them off in the shower with cold water. they are drying hung up in front of a fan right now. My question is how are you guys getting yours clean and what are your methods. I'm afraid of scrubbing the gore-tex because of it being too aggressive, not gentle cycle, on the material. I don't want to ruin something I've spent good money on. Any advice and help would be appreciated from your all's experiences.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:30 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Simms Wader cleaning

I did just what you did. Somehowover the winter mine got stinky !!!!!!!!

They were dry in a gear bag but pewwwwwwww. I read all the how to wash them and hao not to, in the end they went in the washer on cold gentle cycle, then turned them inside out and did another cold gentle cycle

The funk is temporarily gone
Old 03-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys will think this sounds terrible but..........I've never washed a pair of light weights. I did clean my old Orvis guide weight neoprene waders because they got pretty nasty inside.

The Simms I have now and the Wicked Toughs I had before them; I never cleaned. What I have done is to ship the Simms back twice, they are down there now, for warranty check ups. If you read the documentation that comes with, they will check them out and fix anything that needs fixing at no charge if you send them in before the first year is up. This is the second time I sent them, (costs 12.99 for postage) and I expect them home soon.

I get them plenty dirty on the outside from cleaning fish but they seem to come clean when I wade. I don't have a lot of trouble from sweeting in them though. For drying I stuck a couple of small coat hooks right beside the front door on our porch and we just hang them up when we get home every day. This is a sure fire way to avoid them being packed in a duffel and getting stinky. As long as you have a place out of the sun to hang them I would say that it's the best way to keep them dry and fresh.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm like Ard and never wash them.
I washed a pair of Simms in the washer(years ago) as they recommend and they leaked horribly afterwards. I called Simms, they said to mail them in so they could check em out. They called a week later and said they had pin hole leaks everywhere and sent me a new pair. I never washed the new pair and they lasted for 12-13 years, I replaced them finally last season and can't wait for the new look to wear off these.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I wash my bootfoot breathables pretty regularly.
When you wear them in the salt the "pores" clog up after 8 or 10 trips and a wash down makes a huge difference in the 'breathability"
The bootfoots don't go in the washer of course, I hang them inverted and brush them down with dish detergent bath and (don't laugh ) a toilet brush
Then spray them with the hose.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
a toilet brush

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
What I have done is to ship the Simms back twice, they are down there now, for warranty check ups. If you read the documentation that comes with, they will check them out and fix anything that needs fixing at no charge if you send them in before the first year is up. This is the second time I sent them, (costs 12.99 for postage) and I expect them home soon.

Ard
It hasn't been a year yet but they have sent me emails to have them checked out, getting close to a year. I've only had a couple of pin hole which were easily found and fixed being it was goretex. I washed them since it said to send in clean wader on there website. I hate to be without them being they are zippered, you know what I mean, it's easier. I'll just have to wear the old bass pro wader till I get them back.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You guys will think this sounds terrible but..........I've never washed a pair of light weights. I did clean my old Orvis guide weight neoprene waders because they got pretty nasty inside.

The Simms I have now and the Wicked Toughs I had before them; I never cleaned. What I have done is to ship the Simms back twice, they are down there now, for warranty check ups. If you read the documentation that comes with, they will check them out and fix anything that needs fixing at no charge if you send them in before the first year is up. This is the second time I sent them, (costs 12.99 for postage) and I expect them home soon.

I get them plenty dirty on the outside from cleaning fish but they seem to come clean when I wade. I don't have a lot of trouble from sweeting in them though. For drying I stuck a couple of small coat hooks right beside the front door on our porch and we just hang them up when we get home every day. This is a sure fire way to avoid them being packed in a duffel and getting stinky. As long as you have a place out of the sun to hang them I would say that it's the best way to keep them dry and fresh.

Ard
This is what surprised me about mine stinking. I hang them in the garage to dry ,then take them out to the back deck and hose them out real well and ket them hang dry again before I put them in the duffel.

I actually was hoping the washer would ruin mine so I could say "dang honey I need to go to the fly shop and get new waders "
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend not machine washing waders. Sometimes the tumbling action can create stress points in the seam tape.

The best way to wash a set of waders is to put them in a large laundry sink mixed in with Nikwax Tech Wash. This cleans out the pores of the membrane. Follow the hand washing instructions. After you give it a good rinsing out as per the instructions, treat the outside of the garment with Nikwax TX-Direct water repellant. That will restore the water repellancy of the garment. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

At the beginning of the year, I washed and treated my waders with Nikwax products. I did this because I noticed some "sweating" on the legs of my base layering. After I washed and treated them, the breathability was restored.

Dennis
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I recommend not machine washing waders. Sometimes the tumbling action can create stress points in the seam tape.

The best way to wash a set of waders is to put them in a large laundry sink mixed in with Nikwax Tech Wash. This cleans out the pores of the membrane. Follow the hand washing instructions. After you give it a good rinsing out as per the instructions, treat the outside of the garment with Nikwax TX-Direct water repellant. That will restore the water repellancy of the garment. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

At the beginning of the year, I washed and treated my waders with Nikwax products. I did this because I noticed some "sweating" on the legs of my base layering. After I washed and treated them, the breathability was restored.

Dennis
Only took me a second to decide to let them soak, that agitating action didn't seem good for them, They cost too much to screw up. Thanks for the links to those products.