The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sally Hansens/Zap A Gap

I am making some braided nylon loops and wondered if either of these products would melt the loops?

Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sally Hansens/Zap A Gap

Anybody???

Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

The short reply--No. We used Sally's and Zap a Gap on fly lines, loops and more.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
The short reply--No. We used Sally's and Zap a Gap on fly lines, loops and more.

Thanks Chuck

Dave
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

But when they dry they are rigid, not flexible. If the loops are for fly lines the rigid spot can hinge when turning over during a cast. I prefer a flexible adhesive like Pliobond.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to the above.

Use the instructions below by Dan Blanton. You need Pliobond on on the section of the braided mono that is on the end of the fly line but you don't need it to the hold the loop itself together if you use the double insertion technique described below to make the loop.

I whip finish the tag end of the braided mono onto the fly line with nylon fly tying thread to keep it from unravelling. Then Pliobond this as well.

Getting Looped | Dan Blanton Fly Fishing Resources

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Another option for adding a loop...
I've been using this for a year with no problems at all. For glue, I use Bohning's Platinum fletching glue from my archery supplies. After a layer of wraps, I put the glue on, then add another layer of wraps, with glue over that. This fletching glue dries nicely flexible and waterproof. I don't know if it would work with the braided loops, but it sure does the job for these. Ironically, I bought it for fletching, but discovered that super glue was better for fletching.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:42 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I use "knot sense" UV cure to smooth out the fly line end as Silver said. Two small nail knots of 8 or 10# mono do the work Edit: Actually one of them does the work and the second is just a backup.

Pliobond, in my opinion, is a much better product than knot sense for that, and way more durable, but it is messy and takes time to cure. I'm not good around things messy and am not very patient anymore either. Time is really accelerating for me now.