The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM

halibutk is on a distinguished road
Default Jurassic Lake: The Experience (Warning Pic Intensive)

Long time lurker, first post be gentle.

I had some problems due to my noobish programming skills. But with help of Admins I was able to fix my initial post, see Posts #5 and #6 for the story and pics
[
Quote:
B]Edit again:[/B] Failed post lost all my formatting when i freaked out that it looked horrible even though preview post looked good.
Sorry about that. It will take me some time to fix, but right now work is calling. One pic (if it works) to keep you enticed.

Update
: With the help of forum admins I have figured out the coding on how i need to change original post so it looks correct. I am working on it now.
Josh

ONCE AGAIN SCROLL DOWN TO SEE PICS

Last edited by halibutk; 03-13-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Edits due to noobish programming
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jurassic Lake: The Experience (Warning Pic Intensive)

Don't worry about the pics, right now I am batting less than 50% on getting my pics to upload.

Welcome to the forum.

This post sounds derogatory of the forum lol but not meant to be.

Dave
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! That's one heck of a Bow
Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

HOLY HUGE FISH!!!!! Look at that thing!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 PM

JURASSIC LAKE
Also Known as Lago Strobel
Camp sign

Loop Camp Solid Adventures

Dates: December 3, 2011 through December 10, 2011

Party: My good friend and coworker Jason, his wife Cindy and myself.

Where to start? How do you describe the absolute best fishing experience you have ever had? How do you break it down to people that have their own stories and try and convince them that NOTHING they have ever experienced will probably not even come close to the fishing in Lago Strobel (Jurassic Lake)? The closest description I can even come up with is just “WOW!” It has taken me a couple months just to process this trip it was so amazing.

I will start by saying I am ruined, I live in Alaska, where up till my ‘Strobel Experience’ I believed I lived in an area with some of the best fly fishing available. I had steelhead in the spring and trout/char all summer and fall. I also had all the salmon fishing I wanted. From April to November I could walk less than half a mile from my front door, to fishing that some people dream about.

To break it down a little more what I thought was great fishing prior to and after the trip to Jurassic Lake. Personally, every day of fishing is good, but if I had to pick how to classify each trip as good or great it would go something like this.
Pre “Strobel Experience”: The thought of catching a 20 inch, 4 pound trout was a nice fish. My biggest trout caught was 26 inches. A 30 inch, 8-10 pound trout was a dream I hoped to achieve. A great day of fishing was landing 10 or more fish greater than 15 inches.
Post “Strobel Experience”: A 20 inch trout is small. A 30 inch, 10 pound trout is an average fish. My biggest trout now stands at a 34 inch, 24 pound rainbow trout caught on a fly rod on a fly I designed and tied (more later). A great day of fishing is catching 30+ fish all measuring more than 25 inches.

Transportation: The ride in was everything we had read about. Each guide drives their party in his own personal vehicle. Our guide Juan had a diesel Nissan Xterra and after experiencing this vehicle get tested harsher then it would on Top Gear, I would love to get my hands on one up in Alaska. The ride to the camp was long and bumpy, 3 hours on highway mostly dirt, another 1 hour on a dirt path and 3 hours across a boulder field that you could barely make out where the road was. It was a true four wheel experience into the middle of nowhere. Wildlife was everywhere and the scenery nothing short of amazing.

Diesel Nissan Xtera on ride in
Lodge: The lodge is not luxury lodge, and honestly I did not want that. I don’t go fishing to have a butler wait on me and change my sheets. The majority of my fishing trip are done in tents or in cabins. At Jurassic, I had my own room with a comfortable bed. It had a propane heater so it was warm and dry. The new dining and relax house was also warm and very comfortable.

Lodge at Night

Food: Every night the food was excellent. Three nights we had all you could eat steak. Argentina loves their beef. Included with the lodge was all we could drink wine, beer, soda as well. Our group would finish several bottles of great Argentinian wine every day. We would load up on several beers and wattle bottles in the morning and head to fish until lunch. Our guide would even bring us cold beers when he came out to check on us.

Beer brought cold upstream by our guide
Guides: First the guides and camp manager were awesome. Guides may not be an apt word for them. They spoke great English and were super helpful. They would join you on the lake or river if you wanted them to. However I prefer a more hands off approach. By doing that, they turned from a guide to a friend, joining you in your experience as any friend would instead of as a person getting paid to stand there with you.

Our guide Juan was an excellent photographer. Outside of fishing, photography was his favorite hobby. As such he joined us throughout the trip and took over 700 pictures of our experience in which he uploaded to a spare SSD card I had at the end of the trip. This allowed me to have all the pictures of my experience. These pictures are some of my favorite pictures and some of the ones in this story were taken by him.

The guides were also excellent educators. Loop has a new spey rod coming out. They had test rods at the camp. I wanted to learn and my friend Jason wanted to get better. They taught us well and at the end of the trip, my buddy Jason was casting like he had been doing it for years and I was successfully using spey techniques in fishing.

Spey caught Jurassic Trout [
On a side not these new LOOP spey rods were awesome by the way, but I am new to spey so I may be enamored by my first time

Once again I was thoroughly impressed by the professionalism of the LOOP camp staff and the LOOP camp. Even if the fishing was mediocre they would have made the trip worthwhile.

Fishing:

Thinking back, even having experienced it with pictures and video proof, I still have a hard time believing it.. The fishing or should I say catching was nothing short of amazing. But sometimes it isn’t just about the catching, sometimes it is that challenge in fishing. Even at Jurassic Lake it exists, the difference is you are guaranteed to catch giant fish while overcoming those challenges.

There were days where you had to find that fly that worked the best as they were a little picky that day.

Picking a fly

There were days where the ever present Patagonian wind would challenge your casting skills.

Casting into ever present Patagonia wind

Another one is that had never fished dry flies in fast water before. Learning how to read the river to find those hydraulic cushions, perfecting my casting to gently lay that dry fly for a good drift was a challenge for me.

Fast water fishing
Landing a 30 inch plus Rainbow trout in fast, boulder strewn plunge pools on a 5 wt, was a challenge.
Big Trout on Dry Fly

Fighting and landing a monster rainbow (34 inch / 24 lb monster) that had taken you through most of your backing and worrying that your 20lb maxima leader or 8wt rod was going to break if you didn’t play that fish exactly right, was a challenge. For more details on this see The Tale of the Fruitloop Leech linked below.

I Can’t pick this fish up
24 pound Rainbow Trout

SYNOPSIS

All told we caught hundreds of fish with an average size of over 8 lbs.

We caught four fish that were definitely over 20 lb and about a dozen in the 18-20 pound range

We literally lost count of how many trout exceeded the 30 inch mark on our rods. It was almost common there.

One afternoon we fished until we couldn’t cast with either hand anymore due to muscle fatigue from fighting fish. Our group estimated over 100 fish landed in about 5 hours. Most were over 8 lbs. That afternoon the wind made casting challenging but you didn’t have to cast far. Almost every cast generally resulted in a big bright fish.

I went through every fly in my stuffed boxes and did not find one that did not work, even the Fruitloop leech
SEE STORY OF THE FRUITLOOP LEECH HERE

I dont think i can stay away. I have already started saving for my next trip to Argentina.

I will let these other pictures talk for me. Each one has a story and a good memory but if I am to ever finish this Blog/Forum post I cant describe them all.

Pics of Fishing

Late Evening Fish

Relaxation at its finest

Mid Day Fight

Boulder Fishing a new extreme sport

Helping Cindy pick a fly

Synchonized Casting

Landing a fish in the river

One of Many Doubles

FISH PICS CONTINUED IN NEXT REPLY
mrfzx, madjoni, baseman1 and 2 others like this.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Fish Pictures

Fruitloop in Action

Evening Fish on a Bead

Beautiful Fish

Chromer

A release by me

Tiny Scud big fish

Nice Fish

Jumping Fish photo by Our Guide Juan

Big fish Release

Hemroidal Mouse works

Small Dry Fly

5wt with a fish

Another Chromer

Cindy with big fish

Another big fish by Cindy

Jason with a 20lb + Chromer

One of our first fish caught

River fish

Big fish I wish I landed

Bye bye
fysh, mrfzx, madjoni and 4 others like this.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I am not sure whether the post I temporarily deleted was an advertisement or not. I will go look at it but with the link and lodge name I chose to be cautious.

We offer business membership packages for those who wish to promote business here.

Contact me via PM please if you have questions.

Ard

As you can see I restored the photos and text. Looks like a heck of a trip.

Ard
halibutk likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 03-13-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Restored post and reply to member.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM

I am sorry that my writing a good review about a great experience i had is considered advertising for a business. I paid full price, had a good time and decided to write a review for others. Take it or leave it.

I have never been part of a sport fishing business, I fly fish solely as a hobby. I have seen other good reviews and when I was researching going on a fishing trip, true honest reviews were hard to come by. This site was one i found an old review of Jurassic lake on and decided to write a more up to date review on it.

The fact that it is number one on the google search for fly fishing forums I thought it was the logical place to post a review of my trip so others could think about experiencing it.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, this thread is so pic heavy of MONSTER fish that we need to be cautious of the bottom of the thread falling out!!

Very impressive.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 03-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Looks like some beautiful fish and everyone is wearing a smile, nice trip.