The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Every time I fish for carp...

I get better at fishing for bass! Still no carp though, I am determined to spend more time pursuing carp this summer. So far I just end up catching bass or crappie. There are a few local ponds where the carp are starting to feed; today they were just cruising a bit, I did not see any mudding activity.
Perhaps I should just say I'm going for bass and then see what happens?

Click the image to open in full size. small black crayfish.

Click the image to open in full size. one of the nicer bass I've caught, about 14". The reel is 3.5" across.

Click the image to open in full size. Fun little guy, should have had the 3wt out for him!

I also caught a small snapping turtle, he was very upset! hooked in the neck, but managed to release him unharmed.

One of these days I will finally catch a carp
There are carp bigger than my dog in that pond!

Last edited by Hardyreels; 03-13-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: language edit, no worries.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Every time I fish for carp...

As the water warms and those carp are thrashing around close to shore they will be spawning. Use a big enough rod
tbblom likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

The neat thing about Carp and Bass is they are eaters! As the water temps warm, spawning and other things may interrupt this but sooner or later the warmer waters will require them to increase intake. When you finally see those Carp in the shallows, nose down, tail up, they are in full blown let's eat mode! Good luck on your endeavors and nice Bass!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Ditto what Chuck S said. Nose down/tail up--yup that's your prime target--a money fish for sure. Slow cruisers and shoppers are also very good targets.

Their behavior is heavily influenced by water temperature. Carp are more skittish than Bass but they will most definitely take a fly. Unless it is warmer in CO than here in WA it is still kind of early to be fishing for them. If you are seeing fish though, it will be time soon.

The first few times a Carp takes your fly you'll be hooked harder than the fish. Stay with it; you can do it.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

By the Way Mr P--great blog--have been following that for some time now.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Found some tailing mudders last night, but it was dark already. I was trying to fish by feel, but could not really see the fish. I cast to a few, smart fish! Now to get back to that spot during the heat of the day...

They seem to know just how far I can cast; then they just hang out right beyond that distance
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Upline the rod, pull out the double-haul, and catch 'em by surprise!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Just make sure you have enough rod!!! i almost felt outgunned with my 8wt last week catching a couple. It was sure damn fun though.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
...Perhaps I should just say I'm going for bass and then see what happens?
That might be your ticket, I always catch them when I don't expect to.

5WT rod, brand new sneakers, just killing an hour and I catch this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM

persistence finally paying off...
the net is 24" long.
Got a few other takes but missed the hookup.
Click the image to open in full size.
Caught him on a 6wt with an olive crayfish.