The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM

straz is on a distinguished road
Default 3wt reel?

Hello,
New to the forum , thanks for sharing all the helpful information. I just bought a three forks 7"6' 3wt to keep in the car for thos unexpected fishing trips..Never fished anything this light. All my reels are a bit heavy. (5/6wt reels)..wondering if anyone has the rod and what they use with it? Even an older reel would be fine..
Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3wt reel?

Straz,

I just got a two-weight yesterday and I am using an old click/pawl reel made by Albright, which is made for 3/4 weight lines. It is just the lightest one I have.

How much do you want to spend? I have read good things about the White River Fly Shop (Bass Pro) Classic Ultralight. It is made for lines 2-4 and weighs only 2.2 ounces. It is nice looking (the finish looks like brass) and costs $89. You won't find many reels much ligher than that.

The Battenkill Large Arbor I comes in at 3.8 ounces, and suits lines size 1-3. It is on sale now for around $100 at the Orvis official site.

Just a couple ideas for ya.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I just purchased the 3 wt Cabela's LSR for my son. He put on his Sage FLI. The reel has good balance with this rod. The reel is reduced to $59.88. That is over a $100.00 savings. Beleive me, they sold many of these at the regular price! You could also look at the ebay store, "The Anglers Roost". However I beleive that his machined reel is a step down form this one. That reel was featured in the thread, "The Finest Reels you can ill Afford not to Buy".
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Where is the LSR $65? It still starts at $105 on the website.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I bought them at one of their stores. They have several different models at reduced pricing. The way Cabela's operates is that the mail order is different than the stores. I beleive they do this so as the mail order is separately accountable for their sales and possibly to keep from having sales tax confusions. If interested call the nearest location and check pricing. They will usually ship out from the stores like the mail order does.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM

straz is on a distinguished road

thanks for the suggestions!! I will look into them. Is there a reel weight that you all look for like under 4oz? I have a medalist 1494 and it's 5.4 and makes it feel way too clunky.
Brian
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I have a Galvan Open Back that I use for light rods.

Very light weight. Very smooth drag system. Very well made.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough

I think Sage might make a very light model for your weight rod. I own a Nautilus Feather Weight 3 which is 3.25 oz, never weighed myself, but it is light. I use on my 4wts. Nautilus also has one smaller, FW1. I work my reels hard during the year and they are still going strong.

I don't own a 3wt, but let a friend of mine use my FW3 on his Cabelas 3wt. Can't remember which model off hand, but it was short, maybe like a 7 footer. He said it worked great, until I told him the price . He couldn't see spending alot on a reel that wouldn't see alot of fishing time. I'm with him on that one, but the reels are nice.
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

try an orvis BBS II.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM

fez is on a distinguished road

i bought a TFO 2 wt this summer and got a cheap little ross reel for it. i didnt expect to be catching any serious trout so i figured it was just a line holder.

imagine my surprise when i hooked into a 18" brown in a tiny stream and was trying to keep him out of cover with a 2 wt and palming my real for a little drag.