The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough
Default Hardy Sovereign 8'6" 5/6... Line Match

I picked up a VIRGIN HARDY SOVEREIGN 8'6" 5/6 fly rod over the weekend. I would like to pair it with a good line. I will use my Princess or my System 6 reel. Also can anyone tell me anything about this rod? I cant find much info on the rod. Im guessing its from the early 90's. Also, any ideas on a line recommendation?

Thanks Everyone!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardy Sovereign 8'6" 5/6... Line Match

The Sovereign rods were a 90's product, as I understand they are a medium action. I am told this; I never owned one but I have no reason to doubt what I was told. I am old fashioned and the way I judge 'action' to be expected from an unknown rod is quite simple. Assemble the rod, then with the guides facing up gently put the tip on the floor at about 45* angle or so, press down to flex the rod and observe the arc of the rod as you gently increase the downward pressure. As you may well guess, if the rod exhibits a nice even flex deep into the mid section and even deeper you have a medium action rod. If the majority of the flex is found in the tip or if the tip shows a sharper radius of flex in comparison to the rest of the rods curve, you have a fast or tip action rod.

That may all sound pretty so says I but it is a darn good way to guess out a rod without even casting it. if the rod is a medium or mid action type I would be likely to try the upper end of the line rating, in this case a #6 and because I like DT lines I would probably use that taper. I say the #6 because if the rod is a nice medium action I'm thinking it may just load and cast really nice with a bit more weight in the line.

If you intend to push the rod to see how far it will cast rather than to fish it within normal ranges (30 - 60') then I would say a WF #5 for line. I am not a hair splitter when it comes to fly lines. Even with all the marketing hype I still reach for a Scientific Anglers Mastery in DT when I buy a line for a single hand rod and I would suspect that one of them will make your rod work just swell.

Sounds like a beauty, maybe a picture with the Princess posted on the Rod Love thread eh? I'd park the Princess on that and not the Marquis #6, just me but you'll appreciate the extra diameter when you look at the combo.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ard,

I want to take some photos once the weather clears up a little here. The rod and reel make a beautiful pair!! I have some 6 or 7wf line on that Princess and I took the pair to a small creek close by and casted a while. That rod performs nicely! Nice, subtle loops. Soft and Crisp response. A good purchase. I am having a hard time taking the plastic off of the grip! I dont want to dirty it! LOL!!! Anyway, Ill take some shots once I get some good light. Thanks for the info Ard!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You're Welcome,

My action tests aren't very technical but they beat the heck out of wiggling a rod into thin air and saying "Boy that feels good". I can't wait to see the pair together. I cheated myself out of a 15' #9 Sovereign in mint condition last December by being a tad cheap. I haven't gotten over that yet, the rods are very well finished and I have heard good things about their casting qualities. I wish you great happiness fishing with it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;