The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM

trwtbum is on a distinguished road
Default Are #1 - #4 hooks allowed as Carry-ON for air travel?

I am planning a trip down to Texas for a week of Red, Trout and maybe Tarpon fishing. I have been behind the vise for a couple of months now and want to take my tying gear and patterns as carry-on. TSA states that "delicate and expensive fishing gear such as flies should be carried on" but I don't know their definition of "flies". We are not talking about Bluewater or Shark hooks just your typical salt water #1-#6. The regulations also say that you can take tools smaller than 7" in your carry on bag - so the way I see it - a vise (broken down) bodkins, wipfinishers, and tweezers are all fair according to the rules. (I will buy scissors when I land). If flies are okay what about bare hooks and at what size do they say a fly is a "sharp or dangerous object". I'm looking for any feed back or experience on this subject. I know... I know... I could just play it safe and pay to check the tying gear but I want to know what other people have seen, heard or done. Plus, wouldn't it be fun to whip up some patterns on a long plane ride instead of reading Sky Mall?!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Are #1 - #4 hooks allowed as Carry-ON for air travel?

When I go to the Caribbean I take rod, reel, kelly clamp and flies in my carry-on. Fly size is 2-6. Only last time did some one ask. As soon as they called over someone to look at the scan of my bag, I knew I had some 'splanin to do.

The TSA agent walks towards me and I just blurt out: "they're fishing flies". She opens my fly box half-expecting to see it filled with crawling insects.

No problem. Boarded the flight without any further problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I would print out this from the TSA and carry it with you on both ends of the flight:

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Your flies "should" be OK, but remember that these are TSA "Guidelines" and an individual air carrier may choose to have more restrictive policies--- or may have folks that are unfamiliar with the latest interpretations.

That said, I would NOT plan on carrying on fly tying tools or a vise on board, and would definitely not plan on tying on the flight---- after your fellow passengers potentially wrestle you to the ground, you could end up on the TSA's "s--- list" and be subjected to cavity searches every time you fly...

I would plan on carrying on your reels, camera, any 9' or shorter rods that break down to four pieces in a sturdy metal or pvc tube, and your 1/2 of your fishing flies.

I would pack the other 1/2 of your flies (just in case the carry on flies get confiscated even though they should be OK), and any fishing tools (hook file, pliers, knife, Boga etc), tying stuff (vise, tools, any bare hooks, materials) and any goopy stuff (sunscreen, zinc oxide etc) in heavy duty freezer bags to prevent spillage) as well as any rods that break down longer than 30" sections in heavy duty tubes (aluminum or heavy PVC).

Good luck--- have a great trip.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM

trwtbum is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys. I was planning on printing the TSA special items and taking it with me if I decide to caryy-on. I was however being a little sarcastic about tying on the plane. I think its funny that you can take a 12" crochet needle to knit a scarf and tools smaller than 7" but not an Old Timer pocket knife. Anyway, I will check my tying gear and flies and just carry-on my rods and reels. Thanks again!