The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Does it upset ya......

......when ya head out into a stream or river and notice cans, old bait containers and who knows what else on the bank, or at the bottom of the creek? I have to wonder why are people so engrosed with what ever takes their mind off of natures beauty long enough to just walk off and leave the stuff lying around. Do they think this trash is just going to go away on it's own? Very puzzeled. Parents should be teaching the children to guard and protect what we have and create a GOOD habit that would effect all for yrs to come. EVERY time i wade or even go to the fishing hole to set on the bank to study the stream i always come back out of the water with my waders full of trash. I never leave the site without a walmart bag full. Get a load of this. Last yr i found an old tire down stream half burried in the sandy bottom. It was a struggle getting it out of the soil and much more of a struggle getting it up the stream and onto the bank. I left it there thinking whoever cleans the place (state public access)would take it with em when they came to empty the trash cans. Wrong. Was down again a couple of days later and it was still there. While there a state worker came down to do his fishing survey and after a discussion i went and retrieved the tire that was still lying there and attempted to put it in the state pkup. That kid didn't want any part of it and he didn't want it in his truck. That burned my backside to say the least. I sent a letter to the Ark fish and game commision telling of the event. No reply yet. Are we all doing our part? We are keepers of our streams. If we dont who will? I guess you could say i'm the type of guy that wont stand by thinking it will fix itself.
Eddy
Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does it upset ya......

I always bring bags and invariably end up walking out with loads of rusted cans and other trash, it's pretty depressing. I feel like it's even worse on a lot of the steelhead waters, but maybe it's because they are more accesible than other waters I fish... certainly the carp waters are the worst though, but such is the result when its under overpasses and such... I have heard stories of several guys in my area completely giving up steelheading because of the trash on the waters they are fishing. Since I'm not giving up fishing any time soon, I just try to clean up as much garbage as I can carry out.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I can't stand it either, it never ceases to amaze me what people will do.

I will say, I see a lot more trash in and near roadside streams, the further into the back country I go, I see less trash. Those that litter are lazy and rarely venture further than the side of the road.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Yes it makes me furious. I always pack out as much garbage as I can every time I go out.

I hope that it's at least earning me some karma points with the fish gods because sometimes it feel like it's a futile effort, walking out with your pockets loaded up with cans and mono and still seeing more and more every time.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys have the right idea, it has been my experience that although my own act of removing trash does not change the behavior of others it does make a difference. We have had this topic hashed out many times over the years and I've said before; even here in Alaska you will find piles of trash deep into a river system. I float a river several times each year, the trip takes me 5 - 6 days and covers a little over 70 miles depending where I launch from. There are about 60 miles that are not accessible by road or by walking due to the Bush. It is always perplexing to find trash on this stretch because the people who leave it had to have gotten there on rafts or drift boats of some sort. I used to bag and take with but sometimes the bulk of the load became a burden. My answer was to begin using my trenching tool to dig holes and to bury most of what I find.

Here's a closing thought; glass is especially dangerous! The most dangerous is clear bottles like those Corona beer bottles (litterbugs drinking Imports) Have you ever used a hand held magnifying glass to focus the suns rays into a beam that will ignite a fire? A broken clear glass beer bottle can do the same thing. If you don't believe this you need to bust one and start trying pices............. Of course this is a long shot right? I've learned this by living where there is a very limited road system; fighting fires 50 miles off road is a real long shot. Fires like this have to burn themselves out and take everything else with them while they burn.

Do what you can,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Like others, i always seem to come out of the woods or off of the river banks with more than I went in with. It payed off once, a few years ago. I had loaded my kayak back on the portage wheels, and was filling the open cockpit of the 'yak with the remains of what appeared to be a pond-side teenage beer party. A Ranger came along with a handcart and an armload of garbage bags, as he had seen the mess the day before, and was now coming bak to clean it up.

Between the two of us, we finished cleaning-up the mess, and he helped me roll my beer bottle and can filled 'yak back to the parking area (almost 1/2 mile away). We got talking, and he told me about another, previously unknown to me, kayak accessable smallmouth bass pond, which I've fished sereral times since, with great results!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

This issue is definitely fresh in my mind right now. We are having the first really nice week of the year, and all of the nimrods are out cluttering up the public access with beer cans and empty worm containers (not to mention other unpleasant things).
I don't know whether to laugh at them or cry.
On one hand it is comical to see 20 guys fish the same pool of a small river (I even saw two of them in a boat five feet off shore), but on the other hand, I know what its going to look like in two weeks.
Thankfully, like you guys, I don't usually fish the public access parking lots. I usually venture further into the woods. I will pick up trash, but I do draw the line at used condoms though.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Our state DNR cut the budget a few years ago and among the cuts were trash barrels at the local park/lake. They still have a dumpster at the main office, and you can dump your trash there (this was confirmed by the manager when I asked), but it's amazing how many people just leave it laying where they eat or fish.

Last week I passed a parked SUV which had a cooler & bag of trash setting behind it on the ground. Didn't give it much thought, but when I drove back out of the park the SUV & cooler were gone, but the trash bag was still there. I think from now on I'm going to snap a pic of the license plate (and the trash) and give it to the park manager if it happens again.

Yesterday evening I stopped to fish (caught a few 'gills & crappie) and someone had dumped the remains from their tub of chicken livers (blood & scraps of liver) on the rocks. No way to really clean it up and not a major environmental issue (the rain last night probably removed all traces), but it sure is unsightly and inconvenient to have to walk around it.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You guys have the right idea, it has been my experience that although my own act of removing trash does not change the behavior of others it does make a difference. We have had this topic hashed out many times over the years and I've said before; even here in Alaska you will find piles of trash deep into a river system. I float a river several times each year, the trip takes me 5 - 6 days and covers a little over 70 miles depending where I launch from. There are about 60 miles that are not accessible by road or by walking due to the Bush. It is always perplexing to find trash on this stretch because the people who leave it had to have gotten there on rafts or drift boats of some sort. I used to bag and take with but sometimes the bulk of the load became a burden. My answer was to begin using my trenching tool to dig holes and to bury most of what I find.

Here's a closing thought; glass is especially dangerous! The most dangerous is clear bottles like those Corona beer bottles (litterbugs drinking Imports) Have you ever used a hand held magnifying glass to focus the suns rays into a beam that will ignite a fire? A broken clear glass beer bottle can do the same thing. If you don't believe this you need to bust one and start trying pices............. Of course this is a long shot right? I've learned this by living where there is a very limited road system; fighting fires 50 miles off road is a real long shot. Fires like this have to burn themselves out and take everything else with them while they burn.

Do what you can,

Ard
Click the image to open in full size.

best i can tell this happened from focused light
goode thing my wife was driving by our condo and saw our herb garden ablaze
crazy but true, wierd stuff can and will happen.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

This seems to be a major problem everywhere,an issue which really bugs me as only last night I retrieved Beer Bottles,Soft Drink Cans/Cartons as well as other rubbish grubs had left behind,most people are fine.
A mate keeps warning me about telling people to pick their rubbish up & take it with them,as The Local Lake we fish is Privately owed,my defense is it's easier to carry the empty bottle home than take the full ones Fishing & if they continue to leave Rubbish behind The Lake will be closed.
Another thing is some people just park anywhere in everyones way,I again tell them to park correctly as eventually they will come out & find a dent in their vehicle.
Brian.