The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM

bamaboy is on a distinguished road
Default Drift Boat Oars?

For all you drift boat fisherman. I am looking to upgrade my oars and was looking for some input on what you guys are using or have used and liked or didn't like. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Drift Boat Oars?

bamaboy

Checkout this thread from last season. Should answer your question.

Drift Boat Oars
Hardyreels and littledavid123 like this.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the link, I do have another question. What advantage does stiff shaft oars have over the wooden shaft oars and vise versa?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

bama

I have never used the wooden oars so I can't really say. But there is plenty of flex in the glass wrap oars for my taste. Flex just gives you more feel, the stiffer oars also tire you out faster as they take more energy. Just my opinion!!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I love my Sawyer MX-G's with Wood Blades...

Click the image to open in full size.

That being said, while they are super responsive and basically bullet proof, my next sticks will be a graphite and glass composite that flexes a little bit.

For the water I fish "slow and not very technical wide open rivers", I wouldn't say what I have makes you work harder, but a little more flex would let you feel the stroke a bit better. Not to mention, the graphite/glass composite shafts are cheaper...

Whatever you choose, go with Sawyer, best in the business, period...

Solid wood are the best there is, BUT they are more likely to break and when they do, you have to replace the whole deal. A glass/graphite composite shaft with wood blade will be the closest there is to that flex profile and the only thing you really have to worry about breaking is the blades, which are replaceable.

If you are on really technical water, you want a stiffer shaft to give you better response...

The best advice I can give you, call Sawyer Oars and ask for Richard McKinney, he can steer you in the right direction and is a very nice guy...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
For the water I fish "slow and not very technical wide open rivers", I wouldn't say what I have makes you work harder, but a little more flex would let you feel the stroke a bit better.
Here in the west I float faster waters. Stiffer oars in faster waters make you work harder because you get max resistance right from the start of your stroke. But you are right about having too much flex in technical water, That could get dicey!!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Here in the west I float faster waters. Stiffer oars in faster waters make you work harder because you get max resistance right from the start of your stroke. But you are right about having too much flex in technical water, That could get dicey!!
Yeah, I have never rowed anything very crazy, so my knowledge is limited what I have always been told...

I went with the stiffer oar because what I row is such a large boat in comparison to your standard drift boat and I thought it may be necessary, I now do not feel I was accurate in that guess so much, but, in faster water, it may hold true...

I liked the way Richard at Sawyer put it, younger guys typically go for a stiffer oar, as they get older they go for one with a bit more flex, whether that's because they are simply getting older or just getting wiser in their old age, I will let you figure that out on your own... LOL

He did state that the stiffer oars tend to make you work harder, but are typically a bit more responsive. Like I said, I thought I would need something stiffer due to the fact I am rowing something so big and heavy so I went with the stiffest shafts they had...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I won't comment on oars but........................ that's a nice fishing boat there!
kwb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

After my first rookie year with the boat..

The Cataracts were great. I was surprised they survived the season with my rowing skills

Watching boats go into the water out here.. I don't know if I ever saw another brand but Cataracts.. fwiw.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the responses, I will be looking into all this info.
Thanks again, And that is a sweet boat!