The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 2 Post By mtflyfishguide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips for your guide

Having been on both ends of the stick I'd like to get some input on this . I'm sure there are plenty of guides as well as customers on this forum who have an opinion.
What percentage do you give?
Do you give more to an independent than a lodge guide?
What do you consider a great day or poor one?
What do you expect as a guide?
Do you pay the same percentage for a $600 dollar flats trip as you do for a $350 river trip?
I'm a firm believer in 20percent or greater on a good trip how about you?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for your guide

Theboz, the forum had a good discussion on guide tipping this last fall. No offense towards your question, it's just that the majority of folks with an opinion on this subject recently expressed their thoughts.

If I may suggest, click on search and type in tipping guides, there on the front page you will find 5 past discussions on the subject.

Dave
Davo likes this.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

theboz

Here are some links to several past post on Guides and Tipping that littledavid mentioned.

Guided trip and how to tip the guide?

Gratuities for Guides

So, what is the usual tip rate for a guide?

Proper Tipping for Guides?

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Davo emerges from his winter den!! Hey man, how are you?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys . I'll check it out.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 AM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

I guide for a living and appreciate that you took the time to ask this question. Most guests tip $40- $60 per angler in a boat per day. In MT, where I guide, most guides are independent contractors. They usually have their own boats, trucks,gear and have to cover all costs, food, gas, flies, shuttles, at least in Missoula we do, Madison, Big Hole, Big Horn guides might be different. And tips don't always cover the guides expenses, most outfitters pay guides 60-70% of the booked fee most full day floats are $425-$475 per boat. so our daily pay is $265-$325 a day.
I think a guide needs to show up early, be organized, be decisive, have a game plan to match his clients expectations.(as long as they are realistic expectations) Don't be grumpy and be patient. It's your vacation so guides should try to make the day enjoyable but we aren't magicians and some times conditions dictate not the greatest fishing. A good guide will keep working, changing flies, trying to make something happen when its slow, and explain why things are working during success. As a guide there is nothing worse than a real long slow day of subpar fishing and luckily where I live the fishing is usually pretty good. Sorry to ramble.

bottom line If a guide does his job, works hard, provides you opportunities,has a good attitude, and is professional, 20% of the trip fee is great tip. If you get a unmotivated/ turd guide, let the outfitter know about it and tip what you would tip at a restaurant if the server did a bad job.

take care
grassonfly and theboz like this.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I wish I could afford a guide (and the tip!)
Hundreds of dollars for a day of fishing is totally out of my tax bracket.

I would probably buy a new rod and reel for the cost instead, or take a whole week long road trip of fishing.
I fish ~200 days a year (if you count after work jaunts), so it kind of seems foolish to pay to play, although I know it could help immensely on new water.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyfishguide View Post
I think a guide needs to show up early, be organized, be decisive, have a game plan to match his clients expectations.(as long as they are realistic expectations) Don't be grumpy and be patient. It's your vacation so guides should try to make the day enjoyable but we aren't magicians and some times conditions dictate not the greatest fishing. A good guide will keep working, changing flies, trying to make something happen when its slow, and explain why things are working during success. As a guide there is nothing worse than a real long slow day of subpar fishing and luckily where I live the fishing is usually pretty good. Sorry to ramble.

bottom line If a guide does his job, works hard, provides you opportunities,has a good attitude, and is professional, 20% of the trip fee is great tip. If you get a unmotivated/ turd guide, let the outfitter know about it and tip what you would tip at a restaurant if the server did a bad job.

take care
I couldn't agree more, to me the number of fish we land is secondary. Sure I like to catch fish as much as the next guy but if we encounter an off day and I see the guide is doing his best to get us into fish, has a good attitude with a great sense of humor I'm still going to tip of at least 20%.