The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 02:55 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie questions

I'm new to this stuff so please bear with me:

I have been given alot of used and new stuff. Still in good shape but without instructions. Kind of inherited the stuff when I mentioned I was interested in fly fishing. I haven't used one in 25 years. Anyway here is the stuff I got along with tools, gadgets etc.

rodsall used)
- 1 Cabela's 3 Forks 5/6 8 1/2'
- 1 Crystal River (unk model) 4/5wt 8 1/2'
- 1 Martin (unk model) 6/7wt 9'
reelsall used)
-1 Cabela's Pestige Plus
-2 Crystal River (alum & graphite? unk models)
backing:
- 20lb Dacron (500yds+) Cabela's(all new)
flylineall new)
- orvis 6wt WFF (2ea)
- Green Mt 5 & 6 wt WFF (3ea)
- unk make, new in sealed unmarked packs. I was told they are all WF, 5 total in various colors
leadersall new)
- numerous 3M Scientific Anglers from 3x to 6x (A total of 20 of these)

1. Is there a way to determine how much backing one needs for a fly reel? I have a 3 1/2" diameter reel, with a 13/16" arbor and I have20lb dacron backing. With 500 yads I think I have enough, but how much do I use for each reel? The Cabela's web site shows that particular reel holding 150yds of #20. At least that's how they sell it.

2. Is there a way to tell which end is which on untagged flyline? I can't tell the difference from one end or the other. Would a caliper measure work? The Orvis and the GreenMt have little tags that tell me which end to tie to the backing. The unmarked stuff have no tags. I was told they are all WF 5/6 or 6/7wt.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Newbie questions

Hi 45fisher,

Getting all this gear will make it a lot simpler to get started. I will address your second questions first. You say you have weight forward lines so one end of the line will have a taper to it and the back end will be a level line. You can use a micrometer but I don't think you will have to. Just unroll the first 30' of line and examine it. If it is all the same diameter then it is the back of the line that fastens to the backing. If it is the front you will see that the line tapers from the front few feet into a larger line and then goes back down to the same size as the back of the line.

Here is the best way that I have found to determine the right amount of backing. Take your fly line and wind it onto the reel. Now take your backing and wind it onto the reel until you have the desired amount. Remove the backing and the fly line. Tie the backing on the arbor and wind it on the reel. Tie the backing to the rear of the fly line and wind it on. This works best if you have a winding machine but you can still do it without one. You can unwind the backing and fly line onto a rolled up newspaper or some such thing. A hollow cardboard tube works well.

Frank