I'm new to this stuff so please bear with me:
I have been given alot of used and new stuff. Still in good shape but without instructions. Kind of inherited the stuff when I mentioned I was interested in fly fishing. I haven't used one in 25 years. Anyway here is the stuff I got along with tools, gadgets etc.
- 1 Cabela's 3 Forks 5/6 8 1/2'
- 1 Crystal River (unk model) 4/5wt 8 1/2'
- 1 Martin (unk model) 6/7wt 9'
-1 Cabela's Pestige Plus
-2 Crystal River (alum & graphite? unk models)
- 20lb Dacron (500yds+) Cabela's(all new)
- orvis 6wt WFF (2ea)
- Green Mt 5 & 6 wt WFF (3ea)
- unk make, new in sealed unmarked packs. I was told they are all WF, 5 total in various colors
- numerous 3M Scientific Anglers from 3x to 6x (A total of 20 of these)
1. Is there a way to determine how much backing one needs for a fly reel? I have a 3 1/2" diameter reel, with a 13/16" arbor and I have20lb dacron backing. With 500 yads I think I have enough, but how much do I use for each reel? The Cabela's web site shows that particular reel holding 150yds of #20. At least that's how they sell it.
2. Is there a way to tell which end is which on untagged flyline? I can't tell the difference from one end or the other. Would a caliper measure work? The Orvis and the GreenMt have little tags that tell me which end to tie to the backing. The unmarked stuff have no tags. I was told they are all WF 5/6 or 6/7wt.