The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:38 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about
Default Is it Ok the be lazy? I mean real LAZY.

I've recently taken up fresh water fly fishing. Do most of it on a nearby lake. The lake has Chain Pickerel that have a nasty habit of slicing through the leader with its sharp teeth.

To keep the fish and the fly and leader intact, I got a Retwistable Haywire Bite Guard. (4" 38 lb.)

Not knowing what will take the fly, pickerel, bluegill or largemouth bass, I tend to leave it on.

I find that I can simply untwist and retwist the haywire and change flies without even putting on my glasses. No tippet, no shortening of the leader. When bent, easy to straighten.

Clearly knot skills (the little I had) are going down hill...

OK, is this just too lazy, or better than dealing with a knot?

Any one else use them? Even for trout?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1578
Old 07-09-2010, 05:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it Ok the be lazy? I mean real LAZY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxm View Post
Clearly knot skills (the little I had) are going down hill...
Why not buy a $1.99 generic spool of 8 pound test and practice your knot tying? If you need a set of cheater glasses, get a set.

The reality is that you need to know just a few knots: Blood Knot, Improved Clinch, Kreh's Non Slip Loop Knot, and Perfection Loop.

Quote:
OK, is this just too lazy, or better than dealing with a knot?
If you are unsure about what you will catch in the lake, keep doing what you are doing.

But what if you go elsewhere? Give that some thought.

Quote:
Any one else use them?
Nope. I don't have the use for it.

Quote:
Even for trout?
I would not use it for trout. First is stealth. I want the most invisible connection possible. I also want to impart more action into the fly. The wire won't allow that. Lastly is connection strength. The break point will be the connection from wire tippet to leader. I would rather lose just the fly.

MP