The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Boy, i found a good one.......

........when i was going to town this morning. A fresh road kill cottontail rabbit. i was out of dubbing materials and i knew i would eventually find one and yep, there it was. I brought it home and just a few minutes ago i skinned it out and stretched the hide on a cardboard box with push pins. I then salted it down as that's suppose to set the hair so it dont fall off the hide. I do all kinds of feathers and skins from various critters. Starlings, woodpeckers and oh yes, My sons FIL raises "show" chickens, if ya get my drift. They use to be fighting chickens but now he calls em show chickens and then he winks at me. He saves the capes for me when one comes up dead. Do you guys buy your materials or do ya gather a few from lets say a buddies farm or even the side of the road? I never buy any deer hair unless i need something other than the natural color. Theres always some good stuff out there if ya just look.
Eddy
Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Boy, i found a good one.......

Wach out for the tapeworms.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Sitting in a Tupperware box under my seat in the P/U is a pair of kitchen shears, a knife, rubber gloves and several zip lock baggies, ie a road-kill kit. Put it there after seeing far too many really nice and bushy Squirrel Tails wasted on the road. Other than that I, like you, pick up stray feathers, etc and am not above rescuing a rooster saddle when chicken butchering time is nigh!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

this may sound horrible but how easy is it and how long would it take to turn a live rabbit into magnum strips? and what should i cook the meat into.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 PM

grassonfly, ya need to skin the rabbit out and tan the hide. It will then be pliable to work with. I'll bet one of those big snowshoe rabbits would be a good choice. Arp has some where he lives. They make a tanning oil that's very simple to use. On the meat, cooks choice. Fried rabbit is good or you could make ya up a stew. Let us know how it is.
Eddy
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

For snowshoe meat, I would soak it in brine overnight, then parboil it before cooking it up in a stew with pork and some pork fat mixed in. Some burgundy goes well in the stew. It's also great pulled (then again mixed with pork) and barbeque sauce for piling on a toasted roll like a sloppy joe.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

This is one of the reasons I hunt squirrels and rabbits. A good .22 can be a fly tier's best friend. I have a couple of squirrel skins ready to go from the winter--and some good eating in the freezer. (Squirrel is great BBQ'd--I quarter and then parboil them to make sure they're tender and then slap the pieces on the grill.)

Now to see a rabbit or two...
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

The standard test for hares, Snowshoes and Jacks, is to hold the ear with both hands and then try and poke your thumb through the ear. If it goes easy it's a young one and a fryer. If not it's the stew pot. We are just finishing a stew made of chicken and rabbit and the meat is hard to tell part when prepared that way.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM

I'll only eat these rabbits after a couple of good frosts in the fall. Spring or summer, no dice. I'll take the hide but no meat.

Eddy
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM

hooked_on_bugs is on a distinguished road

Speaking of finding a good one, I was cruising the backroads last fall when out hopped a jet black rabbit, and a big 'un! Thank goodness I had my .22, I have enough strips to tie leeches for days! It had to be someones escaped pet or something? I hope Floppy wasn't missed too badly