The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Up In Smoke...

Was digging in the humidor today for a particular cigar I have been aging for two years, and while I had some boxes out, thought about the folks I see on the river. From the disproportionate amount of people smoking good cigars with fly rod in hand, it appears to be standard equipment.

My personal favorite while on the river is the Cohiba Mini, big cigar taste and it doesn't take 30 minutes plus to smoke. I don't like casting with one burning as it's gonna burn the line or drop ashes in a fly box. Off the river my favorite is probably the Montecristo #2 but then again it's hard to pick just one.

I know there are several other cigar aficionados on here, so tell us, what's in your pocket when headed to the waters edge?

Dave
madjoni likes this.

Last edited by littledavid123; 03-17-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Up In Smoke...

Thought you were talking about Cheech & Chong!

I quit smoking cigarettes 14 years ago. Have to keep away from cigars too.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

My favorite cigars, fishing or lounging, are H. Upmann Coronas. For some reason I really like the last 1/3 of the cigar. The taste seems to culminate when smoking that portion. When fly fishing my preference is a Pipe. My fishing pipe is French Jobey Stromboli and I'm working my way through some tins of Astleys, Solani, Presbyterian and Latakia. Nothing better than some good tobacco.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
My favorite cigars, fishing or lounging, are H. Upmann Coronas. For some reason I really like the last 1/3 of the cigar. The taste seems to culminate when smoking that portion. When fly fishing my preference is a Pipe. My fishing pipe is French Jobey Stromboli and I'm working my way through some tins of Astleys, Solani, Presbyterian and Latakia. Nothing better than some good tobacco.
Interesting how the flavor changes as you smoke your way down. The Montecristo #4 has a wonderful earthy taste for the first 1/4 inch then goes floral and finishes with a woody taste.

Dave
Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'll surely be crucified for this, but i prefer a simple swisher sweet, sweet tip on occasion.

casey
tbblom likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

^^^^^
swisher sweets when the skeeters are out... Its been a few years, but something about houseboating makes me want some of those dumb little cigars.

My favorites are not brown at all though
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i'll surely be crucified for this, but i prefer a simple swisher sweet, sweet tip on occasion.

casey
Somebody get me a nail...

Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Click the image to open in full size.

when my wallet is heavy I smoke these
when it's light I pick up a pack of Black and Mild Wood tips.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Mojo, like wise. I saw the title and i thought for sure i'd hear someone mention a Labrador. Great flick.
Eddy
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

All cigars are good! I never smoke anything too expensive when fishing, though. Garcia y Vega is tolerable.

Arturo Fuentes is the stuff, IMHO.