The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pbr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default Streamers-sink tip line OR split shot

I've got sink tip lines, a fast & a extra fast sink. But I'm wondering how many guys use a floating line with some split shot to get the streamer down to the fish? And if so, is this a better way to fish the streamer, using a floating line that is! I fish medium to fast currents here in Michigan. And, I fish some pretty large streamers, 4-7 inchers W/ several being articulated.

I've not had much luck with the sink tip, so I'm just about willing to try any method at this point!

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by kevin2; 03-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: Streamers-sink tip line OR split shot

I've used them all plus some! Often just the weight of the streamer is enough but from there it's your choice to get it down to the fish. I prefer a sink tip to using sinkers and also uesd to carry a 6, 12 and 18 inch sections of leadcore trolling line with loops on either end to add if needed. Now I've changed to using sinking line sections cut from a Rio fast sink shooting head/line.

An old gentleman, in Spokane was known for taking really nice trout from one of the many lakes there and he did nothing more than use a Rio 24′ Depth Charge Sink Tip Fly Line.

The 24′ Sink Tips are designed for big rivers where the fly must sink very deep and you have backcasting room to make this cast but as he found this is also a good lake fishing line for dredging the depths. He'd get that depth charge of a sinking line out as he let the wind carry his small boat across the lake. For rivers it's easier to sue a floating line and then have some sections of sinking line ready to loop on for sure as you want to be down near the bottom. One nice trick is to just loop to loop your section of sinking line onto the fly line leader connection and let the loose end trail. It will hit bottom while your fly will ride slightly higher, especially if you put a corkie in front of the fly. (small Steelhead float)

As for leaders, you can go shorter in most cases using streamers. You can also go a bit heavier most generally. Mine likely average about 7 ft max and are tapered for ease of casting. Rio used to make a three foot or so leader that was treated to sink and I used that as a butt for the longest time. Now they have treated Versi-tip leaders that sink or you can get some additional sinking from using a leader made of FC.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM

pbr is on a distinguished road

Everyone has different Ways. Check out Kelly Galloup and Bob Linsenmans book Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout. Great Info and detailed in tactics and rigging! I personally fish a floater with 7-9 feet straight 2x Fluorocarbon. The rivers I fish are not overly deep and I don't like dredging. I also cast up and across and across. Just to qualify my set up...... I have landed 15+ 20 inch trout or better since Nov 2011 on a 5wt, 3wt, and 8wt largest going 25" brown! The credit goes to Kelly Galloup and his book, and also persistence!

Good luck

Use what you have and make it work.

Please post a pick when you get the hog!

PBR
Davo likes this.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I useeverything but split shot. I can't get the stuff to stay on. I'm scared I'm putting BB holes in some poor guys windows over on the Canadian side. I have sink tips, full sink and intermediate lines, sinking leaders, and weighted flies. Everything has it's time and place, but split shot is at the bottom of the list on how I rate them.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Over the years my streamer fishing has progressed through spectrum. I first started out fishing floating line with split shot, then moved to a sink tip streamer line and now use a full sink class V line. Best advice is play with your set up and find what your most comfortable with and works best for you.

Second Kevin2's suggestion to get a copy of Kelly Galloup's book. Pack full of great information on streamer fishing!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

How to make The Braided Connector For Your Welded Loop Spey Line;

Go to search and look up this thread, Ard has written down the recipe he used for a sinking leader. Not sure what page its on but there is only 2 or 3 to search through.

Dave