The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dropper problems

Stenacron,

Do you have a link showing a diagram of how that should look?

Everyone,

thanks for the tips, I like the idea of tying a second lighter tippet through the hook eye, I'll try that and some of the other things folks have posted and see what happens.

One last thing, Anyone got any tips for tying a good Blood knot? It's giving me fits! I can tie a nice one using bigger tippets, but after 4x, it gets rough. (Bumbly fingers I suppose). Also, I have had trouble getting it to hold in the past and losing two flys instead of just one on a hang up, suggestions?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Attach a lighter 12-18" tippet to your main tippet with a Surgeon's Knot and leave the (heavier) tag line about 6" long… snipping off the other tag (towards the rod tip) close (as normal).

Now you have two (2) free tippets which allow the flies to drift/act independent of one another.

I almost always fish a two fly rig in this fashion with the heavier fly (if applicable) on the upper, heavier line.

By tying them in this fashion, keeping the tag line short (<6") and using two different tippets (4X/5X, 5X/6X, 6X/7X, etc.) the flies rarely tangle. This method works great for swinging a pair of wets, or a nymph/wet as well.

I don't like to attach tippet to another fly as I believe it kills the action and/or affects the drift.
If you want a 'true dropper' set up the above is an excellent way to go. Rig tends to make the upper fly 'stand off' even when casting.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Everyone,

One last thing, Anyone got any tips for tying a good Blood knot? It's giving me fits! I can tie a nice one using bigger tippets, but after 4x, it gets rough. (Bumbly fingers I suppose). Also, I have had trouble getting it to hold in the past and losing two flys instead of just one on a hang up, suggestions?
Years ago there was an extensive test of the best way to tie a blood knot. It resulted in some little known facts about how to tie the strongest blood knot. One fact that is not well know about the blood knot is that the strongest knot results when the length of the knot on each side of the joint is of equal length. If we make an equal number of wraps of the line on each side, the thinner and weaker line will be "grabbing" a shorter section of the thicker line.

Another finding was that the strongest knots had at least 4 wraps but no more than 6 wraps on each side. Any less or more and the knot weakens.

To follow those two rules, I make 4 wraps with the thicker line and 5 wraps with the thinner line. This makes the length of the wrapped sections about equal and the number of wraps lie within the 4 to 6 range.

Blood knots take some practice to master and if you are going to tie them, you might as well tie the best one you can. As for hints, I do the twists on the heavier line first and put it through loop. It helps to keep the loop more open and uses fewer turns than doing the thinner line first.

So practice, practice, practice.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 03-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post

Stenacron,

Do you have a link showing a diagram of how that should look?
I was able to find one.

Click the image to open in full size.

This rig is exactly the way I fish it.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Stenacron,

awesome thanks so much, makes sense now that I've seen it. I would have thought that would cause tangles, but I guess the shorter upper fly would prevent that.

One last question: Using a surgeons knot for that rig presents a challenge. The things seems to break on me quite a bit, should I be wetting them, and how many turns inside the loop are traditional for a strong surgeon's knot?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You may have mistyped you original response because you wrote Surgeons's knot dropper but illustrated a blood knot dropper.

Quote:
Attach a lighter 12-18" tippet to your main tippet with a Surgeon's Knot and leave the (heavier) tag line about 6" long… snipping off the other tag (towards the rod tip) close (as normal).
Quote:
I was able to find one.

This rig is exactly the way I fish it.
A surgeon's knot dropper is below.

I do like the surgeon's better because the dropper comes off at a right angle instead of an acute angle.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 03-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi jor fly,

When I fished multiple wets and nymphs I used the 'blood knot' dropper system (after I was shown) and it does a fine job of keeping things in order even with a trio of flies. A word to the wise would be, keep the false casting to a minimum when you've got several flies attached to the leader.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;