The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Dropper problems

Hey folks,

Had a small problem while fishing today, my dropper (or trailing) nymph on my two nymph rig kept coming off the lead fly hook. (I tie an improved clinch knot to the bend of my lead nymph to attach my tippet and dropper). I lost three flies, only one was a legitimate break off, the other two it seems the clinch knot either came undone (which I doubt, I tie a good clinch) or came off the hook. I suspect that due to my mashing down all my barbs on my hooks, the knot is working its way down and coming off. My question then becomes: What is a good alternative method for tying up a two nymph rig? I used to tie my lead nymph on and then leave a long tag end to tie my dropper on, I found I had more tangles using this method, but that was also back when I first started fly fishing two years ago. Comments????
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dropper problems

Try tying a second tippet from the eye of the hook on your first fly.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Normally I do what you do and just tied the tippet to the bend of the hook. My buddy will tie an improved clinch knot on the first one, leaving a about 8-12" tag or how ever far down you want the second fly then tie another clinch knot to attach the 2nd fly. His method seems to work fine and I am yet to see a break off and it never gets tangled. This may be worth trying if you are still having problems with it sliding off.

ChaseD
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Hey folks,

Had a small problem while fishing today, my dropper (or trailing) nymph on my two nymph rig kept coming off the lead fly hook. (I tie an improved clinch knot to the bend of my lead nymph to attach my tippet and dropper). I lost three flies, only one was a legitimate break off, the other two it seems the clinch knot either came undone (which I doubt, I tie a good clinch) or came off the hook. I suspect that due to my mashing down all my barbs on my hooks, the knot is working its way down and coming off. My question then becomes: What is a good alternative method for tying up a two nymph rig? I used to tie my lead nymph on and then leave a long tag end to tie my dropper on, I found I had more tangles using this method, but that was also back when I first started fly fishing two years ago. Comments????
If it's sliding off, I suspect that you're just not cinching the knot down tight enough. Wet it when you've got it formed then pinch it down against the hook as tightly as possible. I don't see how you can get a properly formed knot to slide against all the forces at work and come off the hook.

Last edited by nickj; 03-18-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
Normally I do what you do and just tied the tippet to the bend of the hook. My buddy will tie an improved clinch knot on the first one, leaving a about 8-12" tag or how ever far down you want the second fly then tie another clinch knot to attach the 2nd fly. His method seems to work fine and I am yet to see a break off and it never gets tangled. This may be worth trying if you are still having problems with it sliding off.

ChaseD

That's the method I use, BUT the downside is that if you do snag you are likely going to lose both flies. If you snag with the dropper tied to the shank, that won't happen as much.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

on small nymphs I tie the second tippet/fly though the eye of the first
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely cause is mashing down the barb. The next time you tie an improved clinch knot around the eye of a hook, look carefully and you will see a space between metal of the hook and the line when the section is tippet is taken through the loop. There will always be a space. This is a problem when you tie this around an open ended "ring" which is what the hook bend is. Just like that knot can rotate around the ring of the eye of a hook, it can slip off of a barbless hook and even over the bump that a mashed barb forms.

You can tie to the eye of the hook but these are better alternatives.

1. Use a true dropper with either a dropper loop tied as follows and then a fly attached to the dropper loop with a perfection loop to loop connection to a short section of tippet to the upper fly.

Dropper Loop - How to tie a Dropper Loop

2. Use the perfect dropper knot to connect the tippet and put the second fly on the dropper.

UKSWFF - Saltwater Flyfishing In The United Kingdom

3. Use a tippet ring as the leader to tippet connection and connect the upper fly as is #1 with a loop to tippet ring connection.

4. Put a small micro split shot on above the tippet knot and then do a loop connection around the leader above the split shot. Let it slid down to the split shot as a stopper.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I don't mash all my barbs down, but I do when I'm running an bead egg. Sometimes I'll tie on a midge dropper and I've noticed that it can slip off the hook. I just make it a point to check it more often. Once I started realizing that it was moving, I just check it and make sure that my clinch knot is tight.

It will slip off, but if you just keep an eye on it, it won't happen as much. There's really nothing else you can do.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Dropper problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Try tying a second tippet from the eye of the hook on your first fly.
+1 here. What that also does (top fly hangs down like the Letter 'J') is improved hook exposure to the upper hook. Fish doesn't have to push the leader aside to get at the fly.

fae
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Hey folks,

What is a good alternative method for tying up a two nymph rig?
Attach a lighter 12-18" tippet to your main tippet with a Surgeon's Knot and leave the (heavier) tag line about 6" long… snipping off the other tag (towards the rod tip) close (as normal).

Now you have two (2) free tippets which allow the flies to drift/act independent of one another.

I almost always fish a two fly rig in this fashion with the heavier fly (if applicable) on the upper, heavier line.

By tying them in this fashion, keeping the tag line short (<6") and using two different tippets (4X/5X, 5X/6X, 6X/7X, etc.) the flies rarely tangle. This method works great for swinging a pair of wets, or a nymph/wet as well.

I don't like to attach tippet to another fly as I believe it kills the action and/or affects the drift.