The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Boat project

Hail the flyfisherman (and the flashlight king if your in MN)

I would like to seek the advice from the group. I am in the middle of fixing up my old 12ft aluminum and am looking for ideas of custom features that I could add that wont break the bank.
Rod holders, storage areas, cup holders? What should I do? What have you done that you love? What did you wish you would have done, or what have you done that you regret?
Anything that is fly fishing specific that I should consider?
I would love to hear what you think about this.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Boat project

12' aluminum canoe?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 AM

12' aluminum semi-v bottom fishing boat. Sorry, I take for granted that its common around here.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

fishing platform in the front and a raised rear deck to pole from over the transom.

Not sure where and what you are fishing, but those flats boats are damn sexy.

Even in CO, you could run them for carp and other warmwater fish as well as trout.

The raised rear deck is handy to sight fish and move stealthly.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM

I would wholeheartedly agree with you if it were a bigger boat. Since its 12' I think it would be way too tippy for a back deck and a front deck is problematic as well. I do love those flats boats though. That would be perfect.
I have been thinking about putting on a knee brace pedestal like on a drift boat and standing on the floor, but that might even be too tippy.
One thing I do know, I need cup holders. I was also thinking a magnetic strip for loose flies.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that the more accessories you put in the boat, the more places that you have for your fly line to get caught on.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Good point. I going to keep that in mind.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

A front casting deck with knee brace and a foot control trolling motor so you can fish alone and still make it happen. How wide is your boat?
Eddy
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Good question. Im not sure of the exact measurement right off hand, but I would have to say its in the ball park of 4-4.5' at the widest point. I could sit two people on the bench seat if they REALLY liked each other. HaHa
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

To expound on MP's point, you will probably want to rig up some kind of stripping basket since you willn't have a smooth deck on the bow. Usually the bottom of most aluminum boats is a hostile environment for flylines. Clear Lake? milt.