The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Colorado Northern Pike Help (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/254003-colorado-northern-pike-help.html)

mcnerney 03-19-2012 02:28 PM

Colorado Northern Pike Help

My grandson lives in Milliken, CO and wants to go fishing for Northern Pike. Can anyone provide suggestions, locations/time of year? I know that Spinney Mtn Reservoir has Northern Pike, but I have no idea when the ice goes out. Anything closer than that?

I've heard from one of the local fly shops that Fish and Game are trying to eliminate the pike in the Yampa and when they catch them they have been putting them in the local ponds around Steamboat, anybody have any further information on where or even if the ponds are public access?

Larry

Guest1 03-19-2012 03:41 PM

Re: Colorado Northern Pike Help

There is a lake in Greely which is not far from Millikin named Carbody Lake. I'll call my cousin tonight and get directions and find out if you can get in to it still. I fished it back in .... I was much younger. It was filled with Pike. My cousin got a 36" one in it which at the time was the biggest fish I had ever seen.

vitesse304 03-19-2012 03:48 PM

Rocky Mountain Arsenal

Opens April 14th.

Get there early, lots of people are out there hunting down the pike. Clousers and streamers stripped perpendicular to shore along the reeds and weed beds seem to be the ticket.

Yampa doesn't really have any pike...not worth the trip unless you were planning to fish the Yampa below stagecoach and also in town.

Lots of good fishing up there, but not if you are chasing pike.

chuck s 03-19-2012 05:06 PM

Here's the closest one if a Tiger Musky is ok rather than a Pike. :thumbsupu Justs north of Ft Collins you have Wellington #4, then Smith Lake, Milovak Reservoir (near Firestone) and North Sterling Reservoir
A bit west you have:
Stagecoach and Williams Fork
Going south and west you have Eleven Mile* and Spinney - (*one of my favorites)
And if you are up near Craig, hit the pond across from the rest stop outside of Craig (all the Yamapa Pike were put in here and other ponds,

:shades: Rocky Mountain Pike | Sportsmans News -----a great and recent article on fishing for Pike in Colorado.

:secret: Colorado Tiger Muskie Fishing - Tips, Records & Stocking Info by Fish Explorer ----- a superb source for finding where fish have been stocked where. About halfway down the page to the right scroll to Tiger Musky or Pike and all the lakes come up!

Good luck on getting him out and into old Esox!:cool:

Guest1 03-19-2012 11:09 PM

OK I called my cousin. He said they renamed Carbody, Newman of Neff. Both have Pike and are North and a bit West of Greeley. You can google Earth Neff. I think what we used to call Carbody is the one across the dirt road. It's been a long time since I fished there. He also said the West side of Windsor Lake in Loveland is good for Trout and in fact they get some whoppers there. Lon Hagler also has Pike and is over in Loveland also. It's about 15 miles WNW of Millikin in Loveland also. My cousins idiot crackhead brother fishes all of the lakes in the area and he offered to call him, but didn't want to make him do it. I hope that helps. If you really need some more options close to Millikin I'll call the crackhead myself. I'm to far away for him to take it as an invitation. :rolleyes:

By the way, I went to High School for a couple years in Ft. Collins and the only Smith Lake I know of is in Denver. I was born there.

chuck s 03-20-2012 02:52 AM

My wife is from Denver so as you might suppose I've spent some time there as well as Ft Collins and Colorado Springs and yes there's a Smith Lake down Denver way and several more across the state. The Smith I was speaking of is Smith Lake, aka Box Elder Reservoir #3 in Larimer County and lies just north of Wellington Reservoir #4. The lake has Pike and at one point produced a state record northern. Surprising how many small lakes abound in the Ft Collins area. Another good one for many years and a record producer was out at Ramah near Calhan but haven't heard anything from anyone on it for years now.

mcnerney 03-20-2012 09:25 AM

Chuck and Dan: I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks for all the great information, now to go scouting! I had no idea there was Pike this close to Milliken, I'm going to definitely scout these lakes out. I don't have my boat here so the fishing will have to wait but at least I can do some scouting.

Dan: No need to call the crackhead, I think you have given me plenty to go on, much appreciated!

Larry

Guest1 03-20-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 417520)

Dan: No need to call the crackhead, Larry

Oh Thankyou! I would have done it for you, but he takes this stuff as an invitation. I'm far away but you just don't want to risk it.

By the way, he has been shaving his head, and his eyes have become sunken and have dark circles around them. My sister has started calling Uncle Fester. :lol2: