The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The one that got away

Quote:
I never lost a little fish
yes it's safe to say
It always was the biggest fish
I caught that got away
~ author unknown
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The one that got away

Hi Robert,

I've read through the replies and have another comment to give. I believe that about 99.9% of the really big fish I've hooked have gotten away. That fact has something to do with why I never lost the desire to get up and go again the next day. Many things (game related) that I became enamored with lost their shine with time but not fishing.

Here are a few examples; I grew up where hunting white tailed deer was almost considered a birthright, a path to adulthood. By the time I was in my mid 20's I did my hunting from tent camps that I established in the heart of the state forests and found that killing a nice buck was not a thing of chance but actually fairly easy. That spelled the end for my love of deer hunting. Turkeys were pretty much the same game, once you knew about the birds and could call well it was more like an execution that even deer. I raised and trained pointing dogs until I finally created good grouse dogs. Once I had the dog and knew how to shoot, killing grouse was no longer hard to do.

But fish! I have fished for over 45 years and can safely say that the really big trout, bass, salmon, and pike that I hook seem to get away. I get some nice fish but what I have seen come off the hook is enough to boggle the mind. I keep going back, I keep buying rods & reels, I keep tying flies, they keep coming off the hook. It seems that no matter how good a person gets at having fish grab the fly what happens next is never etched in stone.

That's what keeps me going, there is no way to tell what's going to happen when I cast out a fly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Great post Ard!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I agree, great post, Ard.

I, too, hunted extensively into my 40's, partridge, deer, elk, rabbits, pheasant, ducks, sage hen, stags and pigs. But the only thing I really miss about it is the food value - so much better tasting and healthier than domestic meat.

But one more thing fishing does for me that hunting never did was to get me to focus entirely on the fishing - no other thoughts (worries) ever got or get to my consciousness. Only the fishing.

So it's not just the lure of catching or hooking or casting to that next fish for me, but also being in a perfectly peaceful place without stress balls bouncing around inside my skull.

I also eat a whole lot of really good tasting fish too.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Big bass are truly mind boggling. They have super massive heads that shake hooks like nothing else.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Arp, your last line pretty well sums it up. Well put.
I've lost fish i've never seen. I can only speculate what it was. Maybe a big rainbow or even a big wallye. The one that really stands out came via ahook set. I was on a #2 6' TFO. On the drag issue. I always fish on the lower setting.
Eddy
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post

But one more thing fishing does for me that hunting never did was to get me to focus entirely on the fishing - no other thoughts (worries) ever got or get to my consciousness. Only the fishing.

So it's not just the lure of catching or hooking or casting to that next fish for me, but also being in a perfectly peaceful place without stress balls bouncing around inside my skull.

My thoughts exactly. Thus my signature line.....

Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I also eat a whole lot of really good tasting fish too
I hear that Jim,

I made a Salmon Bisque last night that was to die for

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

I made a Salmon Bisque last night that was to die for

Uh...er...um.......would you, by any chance, mind sharing that recipe Ard?
Sounds really good!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Robert,

I've read through the replies and have another comment to give. I believe that about 99.9% of the really big fish I've hooked have gotten away. That fact has something to do with why I never lost the desire to get up and go again the next day. Many things (game related) that I became enamored with lost their shine with time but not fishing.

Here are a few examples; I grew up where hunting white tailed deer was almost considered a birthright, a path to adulthood. By the time I was in my mid 20's I did my hunting from tent camps that I established in the heart of the state forests and found that killing a nice buck was not a thing of chance but actually fairly easy. That spelled the end for my love of deer hunting. Turkeys were pretty much the same game, once you knew about the birds and could call well it was more like an execution that even deer. I raised and trained pointing dogs until I finally created good grouse dogs. Once I had the dog and knew how to shoot, killing grouse was no longer hard to do.

But fish! I have fished for over 45 years and can safely say that the really big trout, bass, salmon, and pike that I hook seem to get away. I get some nice fish but what I have seen come off the hook is enough to boggle the mind. I keep going back, I keep buying rods & reels, I keep tying flies, they keep coming off the hook. It seems that no matter how good a person gets at having fish grab the fly what happens next is never etched in stone.

That's what keeps me going, there is no way to tell what's going to happen when I cast out a fly.

Ard
That is a great post and an excellent account of the thrill of fishing. I'm still an avid hunter, because I enjoy any kind of time outdoors with my dad and son. But fishing is special.

I recently did this drawing for an avid fisherman that is passing on the thrill to his sons (one of whom is in the picture).

Click the image to open in full size.