The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Didgeridoo
  • 1 Post By Didgeridoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Lake Trout drawing/design

Hey gang,

Just finished this piece and I figured since I'll be seeing my fair share of lake trout this summer I mide as well try drawing one! This is based off the subspecies from Great Bear Lake where I'll be calling home this summer. This subspecies grows upwards of 70lbs+ and is an absolute menace to anything that shares the same waters. These are voracious open-water cruisers with a ferocious appetite! They feed on whitefish, grayling, ciscoes, and their favorite is smaller lake trout. Fish over 50lbs have been caught with 10-15lb lake trout in their throat, in the middle of digesting and swallowing it.

Anyways, I figured the "Great White of the North" needed to be represented in artwork!

Click the image to open in full size.

Nick
Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lake Trout drawing/design

This one is based on a dark-phase coloration that I've encountered in northern Manitoba. These darker individuals are a stark contrast to the white/silver/blue ones you catch. I can't be certain if they're a subspecies or if they're just a different colour.

In Northwestern Ontario, lake trout are more brownish like this one. My goal was to try to represent a large pre-spawn female, in the mid-30" range.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Very nice Didg.

Make sure you take lots of pics from up at Great Bear lake. I have always been fascinated by Bear and Slave lakes. When i was a young kid, looking at maps of Canada and seeing those gigantic lakes up in the middle of nowhere with monster fish in them. Fueled my desire to fish the far north.

I am also fascinated with Grayling. thought of drawing one of them?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Awesome work! Keep it up!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nick: Awesome work as usual!!!! That species of lake trout sounds more like a Pike in how voracious they can be to other fish.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Thanks guys!

Vans, I'll be sure to take a ton of pictures! I'm hoping to catch some of the other subspecies found in the lake as well!
The Redfins are absolutely gorgeous and max out at about 10-15lbs.
They also have a benthic feeding subspecies that has a down-turned mouth, specially designed for foraging from the subspecies.
And of course they have the enormous blues, that wreck havoc on anything that swims.

McNerney, Lake trout continue to surprise me. I'm looking forward to talking to the biologists that stay at Great Bear and have been studying lake trout diversity in the lakes! Also, to experience first hand at how voracious the piscivorous blues are! I've seen photos of 40-60lb fish with 10-15lb lake trout in them or hanging outta them! Pretty crazy!

Nick
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Here's a couple scientific drawing by fellow artist, Paul Vescei, illustrating how unique and different the morphs are from Great Bear.

Benthic Feeders - often called Butterfly Trout because of their very long fins.
Photo credit to Paul Vescei, a biologist and artist who studies in NWT.

Generalist Feeders - often called Redfin Trout because of their bright red fins. Notice the mouth shape is not sub-terminal like the benthic feeders. It's more of the traditional lake trout mouth.

Piscivorous Feeders - referred to as Blues or Whites, these grow very large, exhibit very large mouths, and eat primary fish.

Nick
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nick, let me know when your tshirts are made, I'm in for one of each And by that, I mean, you better be making tshirts haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nick,thanks for sharing your drawings and your friend's...first time I see most of these fish,it's very interesting.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 AM

Thanks guys! I think in the fall I might look at starting a line of shirts. I'm just way to busy until then to tackle that venture. I do like the idea though. For now I'll continue drawing and adding to my portfolio.

Latest piece I finished tonight. I did this for my facebook cover photo. I think it turned out alright.

I actually put on all my fly gear and posed for this drawing. I setup my camera on a chair and set it on the 10sec timer. This is the first time I've drawn myself! lol. I didn't purposely cover nearly all skin, it's just typically how I fish. I wear a Buff to block the sun off my face and I wear half finger gloves all the time. When I go fishing I'm typically on the water for 8-14hrs and I don't want my skin exposed to the sun that long!
Anyways, I digress. Here's the piece.

Nick
theboz likes this.