The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM

WildmanSC is on a distinguished road
New (To Me) Fly Rod & New Reel

I've traded for a 9' 3:2 Montague Sunbeam bamboo fly rod. And I've purchased a new Teton Tioga Magnum 6 large arbor reel to go with it. The rod has two tips, a light tip for blue gill and a heavier one for bass. Now I just have to get the backing, fly line, leader and tippit and some poppers so I can start fishing with it. I suppose I should buy my fishing and hunting license before I do that though.

Bill
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New (To Me) Fly Rod & New Reel

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum. There is something special about a bamboo rod that many people never experience. My very first fly rod that I bought with my own money was a Heddon Bamboo rod. That was in 1954 and I still have it. Good luck with your new rod.

Frank
Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM

WildmanSC is on a distinguished road
Re: New (To Me) Fly Rod & New Reel

Frank,

Thanks for the welcome. I have an old bamboo rod my dad bought probably in the late 40's/early 50's. It hasn't been fished in a long, long time.

I stumbled upon this rod purely by accident. My other hobby is shooting old fashioned, traditional bows, recurves and longbows. A young fellow posted on one of the trad forums that his bow had broken, the bottom limb.

He asked if anyone was interested in trading a bow for an old bamboo fly rod that he was reconditioning. I checked to see if I could find some recurves in his weight range and found one, which I bought. I should receive the bow Friday or Saturday and after I receive it and inspect it to ensure it is as was advertised, I'll be shipping it to him. He'll be shipping the rod to me later this week, as well.

Bill