The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough
Default Corn kernel fly for carp?

I happened to mention to a fishing buddy today during lunch, that I was interested in fly fishing for carp. I brought this up because he is a much more experienced fly angler than I am. He replied "Put a corn kernel on a hook.", whereby I replied "That's not a fly, that's bait.", whereby he replied "It's a fly - it's made out of natural material." I then tried to create some rationalization along the lines that it might be an acceptable fly if it were a dried corn kernel and were tied onto the hook. I don't know...

To me, it's bait. A dried and salted minnow is also made of natural material and would probably fly cast well. Even while using baitcasting or spinning gear, I only use artificial baits/lures. To me, if a fish can eat it as food, it's bait.

What do you all think?

Last edited by bluedaksi; 03-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Corn kernel fly for carp?

I think you can easily make fly that looks like corn with artificial material. We had a lengthy discussion on carp fly fishing using bread flies and flies that look like blades of grass. You'd be surprised what the guys on this forum throw at carp.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Seems more like a bait presentation, imo. I thought the idea was to show them something that would look like it could be some form of living insect.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

A properly shaped piece of yellow foam works pretty good.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

It is probably more like "bait" than an artificial fly. Sidestepping your question if I may, I would suggest that you will have every bit as much success, or more, with an artifical fly which looks like something that the Carp you are fishing for actually eat. Then your fly fishing conscience will be salved too.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

I guess I'm not alone in my assessment here. Part of throwing this out there for comment was to assess my own comfort level with the idea of using corn, which I'm not. Thanks for the suggestions for mimic flies.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

how about cutting small strips off the kernal and tying that into the body, or somehow use the kernal to enhance scent if that can be okay?

I tried carp using fly's with a guide and it was the hardest fish I ever fished for!!