The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default A good evening with the Cub Scouts

I was invited to come to the Cub Scout meeting last night and do a fly fishing presentation. I did this last year and it was a lot of fun, but didn't have time to cast with them. This year they moved the meeting up an hour so we wouldn't run out of daylight. There were 20 cubs at the meeting, and some brought their sisters too. Many of the parents stayed to watch was really cool.

I started out by talking about rods and reels in general, keeping the information very general.

Click the image to open in full size.

The cubs were absolutely enthralled. They asked a lot of questions like, "What is the biggest fish you've ever caught?", and "Do you know my Grand Pa?" After the rods and reels, I pulled them in close and did a fly tying demo. I tied a Brown Wooly Bugger for them.

After answering a million questions on everything from feathers to getting hooks out of fingers, we went outside, and I showed them basic casting techiniques in the parking lot.

Even though we allowed extra time, it got cloudy and the darkness came on too soon. Each Cub got a turn with the rod.

Then their sisters wanted a turn too, which i was more than happy to oblige!

Sorry I haven't posted all the pictures, but these few should give you some idea of how it went. The rod survived getting its tip bounced off the pavement a few times. Thank goodness, not sure how I would have explained that one to the company for warranty work! At the end, after everybody got their casting turn, we went back inside, and I gave each cub a red San Juan Worm to take home. In turn, they gave me a tin of caramel popcorn! Oh, how sweet it is!
peregrines and theboz like this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good evening with the Cub Scouts

Homer: You are a good man! What a great way to peak the interest of young kids and get them to thinking about fly fishing.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

Way to pass it on! Great crowd.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Nice! I remember how much the cubs enjoyed the fly tying nights.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Homer, sounds like a great night! While I definitely did the Fishing merit badge in Boy Scouts, I was never introduced to fly fishing unfortunately.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

As an eagle scout, I like this. Once they get to boy scouts they have a fly fishing merit badge now too!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Cub Scout meetings held in a church and watching a fly fishing demonstration!!! Should be a Norman Rockwell painting of that scene...Thank you for sharing Homer!

Dave
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Cub Scout meetings held in a church and watching a fly fishing demonstration!!! Should be a Norman Rockwell painting of that scene...Thank you for sharing Homer!

Dave
The small town I live in, Berlin, (population around 2000) is really old, sleepy, and one big Rockwell scene. I love it! No place is perfect, but it really is a great place to raise a child.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Homer,

Well done! It warms my heart to see so many boys still engaged in scouting, and to see adults like yourself willing to help them along the way.

My son just got his Arrow of Light and we have moved to Boy Scouts - started last Tuesday as a matter of fact. I was the cubmaster of his scout troop, took the boys fishing many times on our campouts, and intend to assist them getting thier Fly Fishing Merit badge this summer.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Outstanding Dave! Pass on my congratulations to your son.