A good evening with the Cub Scouts

mrfzx

Reaction score
I was invited to come to the Cub Scout meeting last night and do a fly fishing presentation. I did this last year and it was a lot of fun, but didn't have time to cast with them. This year they moved the meeting up an hour so we wouldn't run out of daylight. There were 20 cubs at the meeting, and some brought their sisters too. Many of the parents stayed to watch was really cool.

I started out by talking about rods and reels in general, keeping the information very general.

The cubs were absolutely enthralled. They asked a lot of questions like, "What is the biggest fish you've ever caught?", and "Do you know my Grand Pa?" After the rods and reels, I pulled them in close and did a fly tying demo. I tied a Brown Wooly Bugger for them.

After answering a million questions on everything from feathers to getting hooks out of fingers, we went outside, and I showed them basic casting techiniques in the parking lot.

Even though we allowed extra time, it got cloudy and the darkness came on too soon. Each Cub got a turn with the rod.

Then their sisters wanted a turn too, which i was more than happy to oblige!

Sorry I haven't posted all the pictures, but these few should give you some idea of how it went. The rod survived getting its tip bounced off the pavement a few times. Thank goodness, not sure how I would have explained that one to the company for warranty work! At the end, after everybody got their casting turn, we went back inside, and I gave each cub a red San Juan Worm to take home. In turn, they gave me a tin of caramel popcorn! Oh, how sweet it is!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Homer: You are a good man! What a great way to peak the interest of young kids and get them to thinking about fly fishing.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Cub Scout meetings held in a church and watching a fly fishing demonstration!!! Should be a Norman Rockwell painting of that scene...Thank you for sharing Homer!

Dave

mrfzx

Reaction score
Cub Scout meetings held in a church and watching a fly fishing demonstration!!! Should be a Norman Rockwell painting of that scene...Thank you for sharing Homer!

Dave
The small town I live in, Berlin, (population around 2000) is really old, sleepy, and one big Rockwell scene. I love it! No place is perfect, but it really is a great place to raise a child.

webrx

Reaction score
Homer,

Well done! It warms my heart to see so many boys still engaged in scouting, and to see adults like yourself willing to help them along the way.

My son just got his Arrow of Light and we have moved to Boy Scouts - started last Tuesday as a matter of fact. I was the cubmaster of his scout troop, took the boys fishing many times on our campouts, and intend to assist them getting thier Fly Fishing Merit badge this summer.

Dave

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Homer-- Great post, that shot of the cub scouts on their feet in church and watching you is priceless-- they are so focused on what you're saying-- I bet they don't pay as much attention in math class.

It also sounds like those kids might be putting down their video games for awile and picking up some fishing poles instead.... :)

theboz

Reaction score
Man I love to see that ! Great job Homer! I was an Eagle Scout and my son as well. I was a fly fishing merit badge counselor and there is no greater satisfaction then getting a young man interested in the sport you love. Awesome!