The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default anyone using those new sun protection shirts

I've noticed that anytime I see a new video on Youtube, the fisherman and guides are all wearing long sleeve shirts & those sun masks.

Are these comfortable & cooling? I'm big on wearing sunblock, have been for decades. Seems like these new measures might be nice, certainly keep you from burning up & dehydrating & losing all energy, not to mention the cancer thing.

If anyone has any links to any good comfortable shirts, that would be helpful too...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: anyone using those new sun protection shirts

No need for fancy stuff.
I do my desert hiking and sunny day fishing in old button down cotton dress shirts. They block the sun just fine...
The quick dry shirts are nice though, and very cool in the sun.
The best sun protection is physical, not a lotion; same with bug protection. And the fish will thank you for not getting chemicals in the water!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I have purchased several Solarflex long sleeve shirts Simms Fishing Products : : Solarflex and wear them all the time now fly fishing.
I was one of the guys that didnt care about being in the sun all day long and coming home showing it, well after getting sun poising one time no more being Mr Motshute Man!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

been doing some reading...natural fabrics offer less protection. Synthetic, good.

Oddly, darker colors offer better protection, as they obsorb more harmful rays. Great, BUT hotter they'll be too!

Sunglasses, lots of cancer on the eyelids and inside the eye, didn't know that. My wife is 46 & found out yesterday she needs cateract surgery, I wonder it that is due to the lack of wearing sunglasses WHILE wearing her regular glasses before going to contacts?

Wear those sunglasses youthful crew...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough

I have a set of the columbia pants and shirt I wear in the summer smallmouth floats. I'm pretty fair skinned and when the fishing is good, I tend to forget about sunscreen. Plus they dry quick when you are wet wading.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I wear a buff sometimes. I've worn it all winter and it helps keep the wind burn down. It's supposed to block the sun on your face, but my glasses fog up when it's pulled up over my nose.

I plan on wearing it this spring and summer...it's pretty light weight so I don't think it'll get too hot. For wade fishing, I probably won't wear it as much since I'll be moving around in and out of the sun, but for floating, I'm definitely wearing it...the sun coming off the water is brutal.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

I have a lot of the Columbia shirts. I like there products. I can fish all day in them. It has been in the low 80s and still doesn't bother me. Very breathable. I am happy with them. The scarfs or face mask I wear around my neck. I keep it wet when I am cutting grass. It works well for that. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I like the columbia nylon hiking/fishing shirts. I can't stand cotton when it gets wet. I keep my eyes open on ebay have gotten a few for real cheap.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
No need for fancy stuff.
I do my desert hiking and sunny day fishing in old button down cotton dress shirts. They block the sun just fine...
The quick dry shirts are nice though, and very cool in the sun.
The best sun protection is physical, not a lotion; same with bug protection. And the fish will thank you for not getting chemicals in the water!
Count me as one that wears regular long sleeve shirts. Dark plaids for trout fishing. Dress shirts on the flats.
It's bad enough that we all use similar equipment. I'll not about to dress like everyone else too... that's just plain weird
And as for those "buffs". They're frigging ***.
Not that there's anything wrong with that
milt spawn and wt bash like this.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I gave up on sunblock years ago. I never could keep the darn stuff out of my eyes! Probably trying to be too thorough when applying it or something.

Nowadays I use simple guide shirts from Cabelas and the like. Nuttin fancy.