The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default Second Rod

I am looking into purchasing a second flyrod for the purpose of trout fishing in medium size streams. When I say medium, I mean 40 - 60' wide with moderate cover. I now own a 6wt rod I use for fishing lakes and rivers for bass. I am thinking 4wt for the trout streams. Should I be looking 5wt? I am also thinking maybe 8'6". I don't want to spend a ton of cash because the majority of my fishing is done for bass. What do you all suggest based on your personal preferences. I imagine I wouldnt need to get my fly out more than 40' or so with the trout rod. I was looking into rod/reel packages in the $100 - $150 range, only problem is most are either 3wt or 5wt in combos in that range that I am finding.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Second Rod

I also mainly fish for warmwater species, mostly bass. But I'm also out on the trout streams quite a few times and mainly use a 5wt on a river that is close to the size river you describe. I break out my 4wt when I know I'll be more in brook trout water or when chasing panfish. I use 6wts and 8wts chasing bass, but I always bring my 5wt. Sometimes you get into an area where there might be a ton of smaller bass and it's a lot more fun on a 5wt, especially when I have clients out. But a 5wt can handle a good sized bass as well, plus it can throw smaller dries and small poppers if thats what the bass want. So my 5wt actually serves a dual purpose for me. I personally have more fun with my 5wt chasing bass...it's gets a little bit challenging and tiring throwing big clousers or big poppers with it , but my Scott makes it a bit easier. I don't let my clients use a 5wt with bass flies unless they have a lot of casting experience with 6wts-8wts.

Good luck with your search and tight lines!
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Second Rod

i'd go for a 4 wt. then a 5wt. then a 3wt. then maybe a 2wt, then another 4wt. :-) you can never have enough 4wts for trout in streams and smallish rivers. keep in mind, a slow/medium 4 wt would fish very differently than a medium/fast or fast 4wt. then you can also have a short 4wt, or a long 4wt.
part of it also depends on what kind or size of flies you throw and the wind conditions. so many variables, so many options... :-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm a big 4wt fan myself. I do most of my fishing with a 9' 4wt Sage VPS Light and I've loved the thing for years. The 8'9" 4wt in this series is pretty close to it: Temple Fork Outfitters Finesse Series Fly Rods There's a shorter one in that series too.

These will be a little faster action, and slightly cheaper: Temple Fork Outfitters Professional Series Fly Rods

Here's the best vendor I know of for them: Temple Fork Fly Rods, Temple Fork Outfitters, TFO Fly Rods - fly fishing gear

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:19 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

I'm with Cliff; I love 4-weights. I have an 8'6" and I like that length for a 4 on medium streams. I can do just about anything I want with that rod for trout around our part of the country.

I've experimented with the TFO pro (my wife has the equivilent "Casting for Recovery" rod) and it seems fantastic for $139.

On rod selection, I progressed from 6W to 4W to 2W. My next rod will likely be another 4W. I would really like to cast that TFO Finesse, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much and then out comes the wallet
Old 09-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jeff,

My fishing partner liked to use a 4wt. I always used a 5wt. We were both happy and the only difference is he liked to fish dry flies and I liked to fish sub-surface. If your main interest is dry fly fishing the 4wt would be a very good choice. If you want to fish drys and sub-surface with the emphases on sub-surface, then I think the 5wt is a better choice. The same with the rod length. For dry fly fishing you could get by with a shorter rod. If you will be fishing a lot of sub-surface then a 9' or longer is a better choice.

I agree with Big Cliff on his suggestions for rods.

Frank
Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

The problem with choosing between a 4 and 5 weight rods is that each company and models have a different action and feel. One companies 5 wt may perform like another companies 4 or visa versa. Just as in most cases there is not a seguential progression up or down in feel or speed on models of the same company and type. In many cases they act completly different then you would expect from one wt to another. That being said, with the rods I choose to buy, the 5wt would be a better and more versital choice in your application. It will cast further, handle more diffferent types of flys, work better in the wind, handle the water current and have greater application. To be sure that you make the best choice you should try out several different rods. If possible try having them both at the same time so as you can go back and forth. Do not rush into a purchase. From my experience I have found that it was better to wait and get a quality rod that I will be happy with over the long haul.
Recommendation for a first time 5wt: Scott V2 9'
Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input Cliff, that TFO Professional looks like a pretty nice Rod. I was thinking that I don't need to get a combo or a second reel. The reel I have is a cartridge reel and I have a spare cartridge so I can focus my budget on the Rod. The $140 for the TFO Pro fits nicely into the range I was shopping in.

The posts by FlyMaster, burns, ezamora, Frank and Hardhat give me something to think about in reference to the wt. rod I select.

My Existing 6wt rod is a St Croix Reign. Anytime I hear of suggestions for equipment, even on other posts, I never hear St Croix mentioned. Are they overpriced for what you get?

In addition to an online purchase, I have the option of shopping local as well (whenever possible I like to try and support the local guys.) Just want some opinions on the St. Croix. I have one and really like it, but to be honest, I have only tried a G. Loomis and a St. Croix when I was buying my first rod as those are the 2 brands that the local shop near me pushes. I couldn't see a difference at that stage as I was ignorant to anything flyfishing and the G Loomis was much more expensive that the one I bought.

Any more input on this would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-29-2007, 09:34 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Most shops have reduced the price on the Loomis Metolius Stream Dance HLS to about the $200 range as they are coming out with a new model soon. This is a great price on a quality rod. One of my 5wts is the HLS. The Stream Dance is generally considered a rod with good feel and power and I find this to be the case. It is also a nice performer in the 4-5wt class. The St Croix rods are of good quality also. I have cast the Avid and Legend Ultra and liked them both. I have fished with someone who owns a Reign and loves it. All of these rods are good if they fit your need and style.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna View Post
My Existing 6wt rod is a St Croix Reign. Anytime I hear of suggestions for equipment, even on other posts, I never hear St Croix mentioned. Are they overpriced for what you get?

In addition to an online purchase, I have the option of shopping local as well (whenever possible I like to try and support the local guys.) Just want some opinions on the St. Croix. I have one and really like it, but to be honest, I have only tried a G. Loomis and a St. Croix when I was buying my first rod as those are the 2 brands that the local shop near me pushes. I couldn't see a difference at that stage as I was ignorant to anything flyfishing and the G Loomis was much more expensive that the one I bought.

Any more input on this would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

St Croix makes some very nice rods. One of my favorites for the money is the Legend Ultra at $320. A lot of questions on this forum is from new fly fishers looking for an inexpensive rod. So you see a lot of suggestions for TFO, Sage and Redington. If you like your St Croix Reign then I don't see any reason not to buy another. When you start moving up the price range for fly rods you start getting better hardware, better graphite and lighter weight. Personal ability and preference has a great deal to deal with how well a rod works for you. If your local shop will let you cast the rod before you buy it that would be a big plus. Buying from the FULL CREEL supports this board and they give you a trial period.

I just saw that you have a 6wt rod and in that case I think a 4wt woud be a better choice for you. It would give you two rods that cover a wider range of capabilities. The 5wt would be close to the 6wt in performance.

Frank

St Croix Legend Ultra
Click the image to open in full size.