The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Does eye color matter on streamers?

I wasn't sure if this belonged in general or the tying sub-forum, so I went with general in order to maximize response. Mods, feel free to move if necessary!

On to the question: I've tied a few streamers lately that have included holographic/gel-type eyes. I've largely just used the ones I have sitting around, but in the interest of tying more effective flies (or buying more effective flies for those that buy), does eye color matter, or is it just the presence of eyes that matters?
Davo and fredaevans like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does eye color matter on streamers?

I think contrast is the key.

For example, on a white streamer, I'll use red and black eyes. I wouldn't put those on a black fly, because the red wouldn't show up as well, so I'd use white/silver and black eyes.
fredaevans likes this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

This was the main fly that inspired the question:
Click the image to open in full size.

I used red because it contrasted better than the pearl eyes I had, so I guess I was on the right track! Thanks Cliff. I definitely want to pick up some of the Clear Cure Goo eyes, they are so cool.
mcnerney likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Some of the clear eyes will enhance or alter the color of the materail behind them, also providing some contrast. I recently got some clear cure eyes, they have them in great colors and a bit cheaper (more eyes per dollar) than the holo eyes. I got the lava color, red, with yellow and black center. Nice looking eyes - but the range they have is pretty extensive to cover all bases.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Some of the clear eyes will enhance or alter the color of the materail behind them, also providing some contrast. I recently got some clear cure eyes, they have them in great colors and a bit cheaper (more eyes per dollar) than the holo eyes. I got the lava color, red, with yellow and black center. Nice looking eyes - but the range they have is pretty extensive to cover all bases.
Eunan: That is interesting feedback about the clear cure eyes, I've been reading about them but haven't purchased any yet, sounds interesting.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
This was the main fly that inspired the question:

I used red because it contrasted better than the pearl eyes I had, so I guess I was on the right track! Thanks Cliff. I definitely want to pick up some of the Clear Cure Goo eyes, they are so cool.
AJ: Great looking streamer, can you post a materials list for it?

Larry

Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Larry, the cheapest i've seen them is $4.50 per packet of 20 eyes

Here's the same fly in a Little Steelie colorway
Guest1 and fredaevans like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Interesting question! I know that the eyes on streamers come off a lot of the time and the fly still works. I guess one thing to do is tie some with out any eyes at all and see if they catch fish. Wolly Buggers come to mind on that point. Then tie a bunch in different eye colors and fish them to see if one color produces significantly better than others.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM

They only come off if you dont superglue them on. I had to change the eyes on some streamers as i put on really small ones before i got the bigger eyes. The superglued eyes had to be cut off the fly!
A dab of superglue will keep your streamers seeing for eternity!

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
They only come off if you dont superglue them on. I had to change the eyes on some streamers as i put on really small ones before i got the bigger eyes. The superglued eyes had to be cut off the fly!
A dab of superglue will keep your streamers seeing for eternity!
Good point!

I always superglue mine on, and find that the thicker gel-type glues work better. Especially on dubbed heads, the thinner glues seem to wick into the fibers and make that whole portion of the head stiff instead of really sticking the eye on.

Also, make sure to hold the eyes on there for a good minute or two to let the glue grab hold.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM

My problem with that idea (and great to see you back Dave, I was wondering where you went....) is that I'm not good enough with streamers to catch fish regularly enough for a good sample size. However, that may be a good project for one of three options: 1) When I start actually being able to catch fish on streamers; 2) I find a river full of exceptionally stupid fish; 3) I start catching fish on streamers AND am fishing a river full of exceptionally stupid fish.

Larry:
The hook is a 1/0 popper hook (can't remember the specifics)
The main body is barred zonker, hanging off the back and then wrapped up half the shank
Bit of Pearl flashabou
Bronze Wood Duck palmered forward a few times
UV Orange Ice Dub
The next step of ice dub is two colors mixed together, but I can't remember the two colors, will hopefully remember to update later...
Holographic eyes, then a layer of Clear Cure Goo to make sure they don't pop off.

Eunan, is yours tied with dumbbell eyes instead?